What's wrong with my 16mm?

J Van Auken

you probably wont find one outside of working with a trusted colorist. PM me if you'd like and I can share some samples of what I've done with neat video. If I feel I need a little more pop, or an upscaling to 4k, I typically do the largest sample of grain reduction I can, add 10-15% sharpening, then re-composite with the original (anywhere from mixing back 25% to 75% depending if I need it upscaled). You do wind up having to render alot, and you need to make sure you're in 10bit or more, but I've been very happy with the results. Kinda the best you can ask for outside of either shooting s16 anamorphic x1.33 (expensive) or just shooting short end/recan 35mm (sometimes on par with s16 price wise)

Thanks for your thoughts on SCREAM. I'm unfamiliar with it, and not in a terrific position to go through another full scan on all the footage.

I've been making due this way in the past, but I'm just not entirely satisfied with the results regardless of the settings and mix of temporal and spatial reduction. I'm really after a one-stop solution that delivers acceptable results without requiring intensive post processes once they get back.

But it's from a spirit *through* a brute force image processing pipeline (DVNR). Now it may be that something is wrong with the telecine, but my guess is that more likely it's an issue with the signal processing.

That seems to be the major error here, and as disappointing as it is, they've agreed to rescan the neg without filtering and we'll see if that clears things up.

• Upvote 1

That seems to be the major error here, and as disappointing as it is, they've agreed to rescan the neg without filtering and we'll see if that clears things up.

Please post the results when you get it re-scanned. I'd love to see the difference. Preferably the same frames for comparison purposes.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Alrighty! Finally got the rescan back, and all appears okay.

Here are some screens to compare with the first set:

https://imgur.com/a/5U2N43s

The film's just naturally grainy, what with being expired 500T, even over exposed and no real color being done, but a new scan without the DVNR process clearly takes away the major issues.

Ya that looks miles better. Definitely still grainy but ya... expired 500T will do that. Could probably knock it down a touch with NeatVideo if you wanted.

Glad you figured it out. I'm no expert but in the future, I'd definitely recommend a ScanStation. I get great results even with expired stock.

• Upvote 1

I think you're overestimating what is necessary with today's tools. I work with 2K Super 8 scans all day on a 2012 Mac Pro and a 2013 13" MBP so neither of them cutting edge by any means and I get by just fine with Premiere and the Lumetri Color panel (and Scopes) in that program. Or many people recommend Resolve as it's free and powerful but I just don't know it. Honestly you can get halfway decent results with Auto Color in Premiere. I'd definitely say don't crush blacks just to save the picture but everything needs a little contrast added in my opinion. But ya those specks are super prominent. Too much.

And honestly I've never seen grain look so good until I got 2K scans. When I was getting V3 500T telecined it looked terribly grainy and overpowering but then I got my first 2K scan of 500T and was blown away! So was my client who was expecting something much grainier haha.

Good work!