Special Skills

Hey everyone. so yesterday I came out of an interview and was asked by the director what special skills I had as a DP that would make me stand out among the rest. Has anyone been asked this question while applying for a job? I was stumped and I honestly couldn't give her an answer because I didn't know. I felt like poop when I left the interview because I couldn't think of anything. Wanted to see what have people done in the past or what they answered to potential employers/clients?

• Premium Member

I think the answer to that question, as David mentions, is dependent upon the project and the director at hand-- it could be something like, well I know how to work with in camera effects, or I've done a ton of green screen, or my hand held is the shakiest you've ever seen!!! (if that's what they want) to things like, I'm skilled in working with multi-cam lighting set ups, I can light faster and better than most other DoPs, or I'm experienced both in x budget level AND this budget level so I know how to mitigate expenses in the grip and electric-- or something I often say especially on the lower budget shoots, though not sure if it's helpful (like this run on sentence) is a good friend of mine has a really nice 3-ton truck which we can get a better deal on as I'm shooting it; skypanel.

Honestly I wouldn't sweat the interview too much-- they either liked your work and you or they didin't. Maybe that's the question that got you, maybe it isn't, doesn't really matter. If they call, great, ask them at wrap, and if not, look out for the next one. I can honestly say no two interviews I've ever had have been alike, and somehow they ALWAYS seems to throw you for a loop at least once.

It depends on the project, and I know some interviews are tough, but you could talk about other interesting that could complementary with your DP work.

The other day, someone talk to me about working as DP in a 48 hours project, in which you have to write, film and post produce a short film in a weekend.

Well, I am sound engineer, and even if I don't be checking or working in the sound department, the director saw that as an asset because I could help in post production. Same thing if you are good with editing (but maybe in a feature, is not the best option because as DP you are too close to the footage). Also, if you are good writing scripts, you could help in the pre production.

The other day I was watching an interview with Geoff Boyle, and he says that every DP now has to know a little about post production, color grading, CGI, etc., because if you know that, you can save time when shooting (not to fix things in post, but to save work to later in post, not the same thing) and if you save time, you save money, and increase the chance that people call you again.

Just my thoughts on the matter.