Need NLE software for stock footage

Patrick Cooper

For a long time, Ive been on a quest to find some NLE software that's suitable for producing footage that I can submit to stock agencies. And it looks like my quest still isn't over. Mind you, I'm on a really tight budget so I'd prefer free downloadable software. Ive actually got two quite decent NLE programs that Ive paid money for (Sony Movie Studio and Adobe Premier Elements) and although they are quite versatile, neither of them are entirely suitable for stock footage.

These are the requirements that I want -

Progressive video

Offers MOV as a file type option

Can select codecs such as h264 (bare minimum) and possibly other less compression heavy codecs like photojpeg (though not essential)

Allows the bitrate to be altered

Supports full HD and 4k video

Has basic colour grading options (contrast and colour saturation will suffice)

Simple trimming

Ive tried to install Davinci Resolve after recommendations to use that software but my system can't handle it. I found out that it requires 8GB of RAM to run though I only have 4GBs of RAM on my pc.

So far, Shotcut meets just about all those requirements listed above but it's not all that reliable or stable. It freezes a lot and many times ends in failed exports.

Does anyone have any recommendations for software that has all those requirements?

Edited by Patrick Cooper

You could try Lightworks, although you'll need a Pro license for the exports. You can get a one month license, which will allow you to batch your exports during that period, then work on the next batch using the free version. Lightworks reverts to the free version after the license has lapsed.

Lightworks is very easy to use. I have a pretty unsuitable machine, just an ordinary desktop, and it copes with DSLR HD 25MB files easily, no jerky playback. The interface is fairly intuitive, especially if you've cut on film, and as Brian says the price point is unbeatable. You can output 720p without paying.

For a long time, Ive been on a quest to find some NLE software that's suitable for producing footage that I can submit to stock agencies. And it looks like my quest still isn't over. Mind you, I'm on a really tight budget so I'd prefer free downloadable software. Ive actually got two quite decent NLE programs that Ive paid money for (Sony Movie Studio and Adobe Premier Elements) and although they are quite versatile, neither of them are entirely suitable for stock footage.

These are the requirements that I want -

Progressive video

Offers MOV as a file type option

Can select codecs such as h264 (bare minimum) and possibly other less compression heavy codecs like photojpeg (though not essential)

Allows the bitrate to be altered

Supports full HD and 4k video

Has basic colour grading options (contrast and colour saturation will suffice)

Simple trimming

Ive tried to install Davinci Resolve after recommendations to use that software but my system can't handle it. I found out that it requires 8GB of RAM to run though I only have 4GBs of RAM on my pc.

So far, Shotcut meets just about all those requirements listed above but it's not all that reliable or stable. It freezes a lot and many times ends in failed exports.

Does anyone have any recommendations for software that has all those requirements?

4 gigs of ram is far to little for video editing. You should be using 16 gigs minimum for pro work. Anything less and you will be waiting and waiting

• 2 weeks later...