Strangest thing just happened: I ran into Tyler while thinking about him

Samuel Berger

So I'm in L.A. this week conducting some business and end up staying at the Motel 6 in Sherman Oaks. The place is crappy and around bedtime I try to switch off the light above the sink in the entryway, and it turns out the switch is broken. I complain to the guy in the front desk and he says he can't do anything but change our room in the morning. I twisted off the frosted plastic cover and it turns out there's no bulb I could unscrew. I'd need to cover that light somehow. "Now if only I had some gaffer's tape and foil", I thought. So I went to Target to buy some foil and masking tape.

On the mile and a half drive I start thinking about this project I was going to shoot in Seattle. It got canceled, I ran out of money before it even began, and started saving to move here. And I thought of Tyler because I had told him about this project.

So I'm at Target in the first floor and I get this sales assistant to take me to where the sleeping masks are, in case my plan fails, and who do I run into?

Tyler Purcell.

I was so shocked I forgot how to speak for a second. In fact I was so surprised I forgot to take a selfie with him to prove to my wife that this actually happened. I was in a hurry and we exchanged a few words and I drove back with a huge smile in my face because I took it as a sign that my project will happen some day.

Made my trip, let me tell ya!

Which me are you asking?

:D

Anyway, my wife and I are looking for an apartment here in L.A.. Not working out with my credit so we might have to stay in Washington state until that gets better. Completely insane system. We even offered to pay for months in advance.

What's also totally crazy is that the rental prices are almost at 2008 levels.

• Premium Member

It's crazily hard here in LA for housing; but can be done; though honestly, the best way of doing it is to drive around and call places in LA whose signs have a vacancy on them. Not easy and I got really lucky on the place I have now. A lot depends on where you are planing on living as well.

My dad is in town and he leaves Monday, taking my kids with him. After that we will see if we can stay two more days looking for an apartment, or if we need to leave right away. Our funds are getting rapidly depleted.

Rent prices are insane right now. I wonder if this means we're in another housing bubble.

I really don't want to end up in East Palmdale.

• Premium Member

It's basically always a 2 hour commute-- even if you're just going "down the street."

One nice thing about film, though, is that generally, your call is before the bulk of traffic-- or if it is during the bulk, then you get less traffic at wrap. Within reason.

Maybe look into Simi Valley, Closer.

It's basically always a 2 hour commute-- even if you're just going "down the street."

One nice thing about film, though, is that generally, your call is before the bulk of traffic-- or if it is during the bulk, then you get less traffic at wrap. Within reason.

I've never been to Simi Valley, does it look nice like Tehachapi? Thanks for the suggestion.

• Premium Member

I've never been to Simi Valley, does it look nice like Tehachapi? Thanks for the suggestion.

Tehachapi is 2 hours from Los Angeles at 2am on sunday morning, 99% of the other time it's WAY more then that. As Adrian pointed out, I live around 15 miles as the bird flies from downtown, but it can take upwards of 2 hours to get there.

Simi Valley is nicer then where I live for sure, but at a cost of being slightly hotter in the summer and slightly cooler in the winter. It's kind of surrounded by it's own mountain range which gives it a unique weather pattern. It's closer than Santa Clarita and its on the 118 highway which connects to the 23 on the west side of the valley, 405, 5 and 210 on the east side, so plenty of options. It also has a pretty decent school system and plenty of decent housing.

So our landlord from 2009 told us he'll rent to us in Hollywood again. But now I've just found out that we might need to stay in WA a little longer to keep using our health insurance. It's not good that things aren't quite lining up. If we stay we'll lose that chance to rent in L.A.. Man that sucks.

• 3 weeks later...

It's not likely you will see this, Adrian, but I hope everything will turn out okay for you, and if you are going through tough times, just know you have plenty of friends here, for what it's worth. Best wishes and get well soon. :-/

• Upvote 1