Bought a 2c, seeking advice

Jay Young

• Premium Member

I just purchased a 2c, in hindsight I probably should have purchased a Fries/Mitchell, but its 35mm and that's really what I was after. I really want to get this ready to setup for stedicam and am looking for advise on which pieces I might need in addition.

The package came with:

• A motor which may or may not be crystal, not the flat base motor for sure
  • a set of Schneider Cine-Xenons, in Arri S/B mount of course
  • 4 mags
  • 3x3 matte box (guess I'll have to find mitchell filters!)
  • batteries
  • Recent CLA

How feasible is it to rig up some sort of follow focus without having a PL front? This camera still has the 3-lens turret.

I am thinking if I can find a baseplate that allows for some type of rod support system to be used I might be able to fit a small motor on the lens. I might have to just use one lens at a time for clearence, and I would have to find follow focus gears....

Thoughts?

• Premium Member

As Webster pointed out, the big thing for steadicam work is being able to view the image with a monitor, as you can't look through the viewfinder when doing steadicam work.

My guess is you have the later generation flat motor which isn't crystal, but it doesn't matter because the camera makes plenty of noise.

In terms of follow focus, there was a kit made for the 2C in blimp mode, but I'm pretty sure the follow focus sat inside the blimp. The Cinematography Electronics motor base has a little mount for 15" portable rails, but you'd have to find one on ebay.

• Premium Member

As Webster pointed out, the big thing for steadicam work is being able to view the image with a monitor, as you can't look through the viewfinder when doing steadicam work.

My guess is you have the later generation flat motor which isn't crystal, but it doesn't matter because the camera makes plenty of noise.

Yes, looking at video tap doors currently!

I actually talked with the seller and I am getting a wild motor AND a 24 crystal motor!

• Premium Member

Yes, looking at video tap doors currently!

I actually talked with the seller and I am getting a wild motor AND a 24 crystal motor!

I think I have a fairly new/good 2c video tap door lying around...I'm PM you if I can find it.

2c is a great camera to learn 35mm on. No registration pin like the 3, but get a PL mount and throw on some modern glass and you're good to go. Also with 200' mags it's not too bad hand held.

• Premium Member

get a PL mount and throw on some modern glass and you're good to go. Also with 200' mags it's not too bad hand held.

Interestingly enough, I'm selling my 2C because the inexpensive modern glass doesn't fit. The barrel size is just too big and it hits the mirror. Not a problem with older glass, but the newer stuff is an issue. It's like 2mm to wide.

• Premium Member

Interestingly enough, I'm selling my 2C because the inexpensive modern glass doesn't fit. The barrel size is just too big and it hits the mirror. Not a problem with older glass, but the newer stuff is an issue. It's like 2mm to wide.

What mount does it have? Mine was re-configured by Steve @ Steve's cine and the PL mount is flawless. Great modern built-in motor too.

• Premium Member

What mount does it have? Mine was re-configured by Steve @ Steve's cine and the PL mount is flawless. Great modern built-in motor too.

PL mount. The term "barrel" references the external housing of the lens. So the actual housing of the lens hits the big protruding mirror cover that comes out of the left side of the camera. uggg... :(