Surely the cheapest 16mm kit ever?!

Gareth Blackstock

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Movie-Camera-Pentaflex-AKA-16-Cinema-Flektogon-12-5mm-F-2-8-Biotar-25mm-F-1-4-T/173495922770?hash=item286529b052:g:2jEAAOSwUl5bAS-s

It actually looks to be in decent condition, all you need is a 12volt motorcycle battery and you have a running kit. I don't imagine a budding film maker could find a better deal outside a spring driven kit.

A third zoom lens could be picked up for around $150, a Pentovar. There are English manuals available free online, and the camera's are built like tanks....

Any takers?

• Premium Member

That's a pretty sweet looking camera. However, I bought my 1980's vintage Bolex EBM for $400 USD and it uses standard components. It's scary to buy something like this, which probably is double perf only due to it's age and nobody knows anything about it.

Fair points, but all I had to do was type the camera into google and the first hit was:

http://super8wiki.com/index.php/Pentacon_Pentaflex_16

which contains heaps of info, all about the camera, accessories, technical info, links to English manuals, etc.

And it runs double and single perf film...

I think a key attraction could be affordability of quality lenses. Sure, anyone can pick up a sweet 16mm camera body affordably for less than $500 give or take, but getting the lens can be a lot more money.

With the Pentaflex you can get a quality zoom lens for around $150. Still pretty competitive...

That’s a great kit and a great camera and a great price, I seen those links, the person who’s shot a feature with the Pentaflex posts on this forum, he’d be the best person to ask how this camera performed, I think he post-synced the dialogue, but I’m not sure. From the little I know, this camera is quite heavy, very noisy and is standard 16 [ie it has a 4.3 ratio, I am not sure if it can be modified to Super 16], the lenses for it are very good too, though finding a wide angle lens [wider than 12mm] for it is virtually impossible.

Pav

The camera is definetly heavy, most kits come with a chest support for this adventurous enough to go hand held. For mine I had to buy a heavy duty fluid head enough to take 15kg. I find the noise no worse than a K3.

I think modifying it to super16 would be prohibitive due to the magazine system. Might be easier to crop the footage in post.

Randy, how did you come across your spare? It looks new?

• Premium Member

With modern Vision Negative Stocks, it's not so hateful to just crop it in post.

If you can barney a Konvas to make it quiet (and its been done), you can barney this one too, just don't forget a good optical flat. Noise focuses out through the lens system too and you'll have to have the flat to achieve acceptable noise levels. In a pinch, on a really quiet set, throw a few more jackets on the camera!

There is no shame in low budget film making...