How is this lit?

Hi,

Is the same top source hitting the other actors in the shot as well and what it could be?

Love the choice of top hard light falling on Lincolns face, along with the filter used on the camera, any idea what filter was used in this film?

Also, slightly curious about how Lincoln is placed on the bed, bent around the knees, a deliberate choice?

post-75099-0-72165100-1535995134_thumb.jpg

Edited by Kavish Agrawal

You should watch Wolf Hall, it's amazing and have a lot of work with candles (16th century, england) in a realistic way. It was film on real locations and all the light in night scenes are candles, not day for night or artificial lighting. Great work of Gavin Finney.

About your question, I believe the pic has the Kaminsky net and a hard light up on the cieling, maybe above the pillow. There's a rim on the left, you could see the reflection on the jar, to the man with white hair, I believe.

Edited by Giacomo Girolamo

You should watch Wolf Hall, it's amazing and have a lot of work with candles (16th century, england) in a realistic way. It was film on real locations and all the light in night scenes are candles, not day for night or artificial lighting. Great work of Gavin Finney.

About your question, I believe the pic has the Kaminsky net and a hard light up on the cieling, maybe above the pillow. There's a rim on the left, you could see the reflection on the jar, to the man with white hair, I believe.

Thanks Giacomo! Will definitely give Wolf Hall a watch!! Sounds interesting!

Yeah, seems that..love the composition! Its so painterly!

Thanks Giacomo! Will definitely give Wolf Hall a watch!! Sounds interesting!

Yeah, seems that..love the composition! Its so painterly!

You can watch the video (4 or 5 minutes long) in the youtube channel Cooke optics, about Wolf Hall, from the DP Gavin Finney, in which he talks about working with candles and the test they made, and working on historical buildings too.

He talks also about achieving a paint like look but without using nets before the lens, or haze, or all that resources that look beautiful, but look the same in every historical piece. That's why Wolf Hall has an unique looks (besides the director want everything handheld which gives the show an unique pace).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOZ2rtxMDGo

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOZ2rtxMDGo

Have fun, bye!

• Upvote 1