Travelling and working

Jonathan Scott

Good day

I'm starting this topic today with the aim of gaining some perspective on how I could potentially go about putting the skills i have accumulated working in the film industry in south africa, to use abroad. I have been a grip for the past 6 years, in which time I have worked on several feature films both produced locally and internationally. Between these I have done countless commercials also made for both local and international markets.

While the industry in south africa has shown steady growth over the last few years, the local economy does not support large scale film making, which has left my ambitions wanting.

Since I have started along this quest, I have found it difficult to find much information on how a foreigner could go about finding projects to work on without being part of an existing union.

Has anybody perhaps managed to successfully go about such an endeavour? Or have any advice that could help me along the correct path?

• Premium Member

You'll need a work visa first before you even start thinking union. And the work visa will be very country specific. In truth; it's much easier and cheaper and better for production to hire a local. The only time this wouldn't be the case would be if you're talking about a HOD (head of department) you want for continuity on the run of a show which has some shooting over-seas. And even then, you may well hire a local anyway.