Overly noisy 35mm results on Kodak 5219 Pushed

Rob Mentov

Hi all,

A small group of us recently shot a short film on kodak 5219, 500T and I wanted to get some opinions on the results. The raw scans feel almost like they resemble digital noise as opposed to film grain, especially when exported.

We shot at f2.8 and pushed the stock +1 stop , which seemed like an ample amount of light according to the meter. I'm thinking because the stocks used were recans and perhaps a couple years old, that the film might have needed to be rated at a lower ASA than 500T.

If it were a matter of the film not getting enough light, would pushing another stop solve this or would I be required add more light?

Sample link:

post-58857-0-04515100-1536068925_thumb.jpg

post-58857-0-88126900-1536068937_thumb.jpg

• Premium Member

So two things... You gotta be careful with recan's. Generally if you're going to push, you should be using fresh stock < 6 month old. Also, you need to process nearly immediately. Gotta get it in the soup within 24hrs after it being shot to get the least amount of noise.

I notice that the noise in between the sprocket holes is the same as the noise in the image. Perhaps the scan itself is the problem, as John implied.

Edit: What's with the green light leaks on either side of the image?

The light leaks were from a source of light creeping in. The scan was done at Mel's in Montreal.

The little film clip looks OK. But what is it like on the big screen?

The scans look terrible. For one they are too light. Print little darker. The comment on the sprockets is right on.

I think it is noise, not grain. But am no expert.

post-72141-0-86938800-1536152827_thumb.jpg

Edited by Daniel D. Teoli Jr.

Here is an example of pushing a digital image 2 to 5 stops

https://danielteolijr.wordpress.com/2015/04/13/an-example-of-push-processing-a-digital-image/

You can see what type of noise to expect. Although a still photo can be contrast graded and improved upon more so than bulk cine' post processing.