lighting this interior shot

Hey,

This show has become more and more stylized, but I like the look. Sometimes it's so pronounced that it touches the realm of the unreal, but it fascinates me. I was watching this episode the other day and I got curious how the hell they lit this scene. How do you think it was?

96c7859e4f487c1f76f90151464d6049.jpg

Thanks

Well those lamps definitely aren't creating that light on the actors. It looks like they have 2 separate spot/flood heads gobo'd to have the beam hit very narrowly on the talent.

Another possibility is they have a flag setup the lights are shining through, but the light looks a tad too soft for the obstruction to be super far away. I could be wrong though, none of us were physically there. Any B-roll you can look up for this show?

There's also a soft top-light in the room (possibly a Kino with Muzz or these days I'd probably use 4x4 Litemat with Muzz--- maybe 2)

I'd tend to think that the low level ambience on the bedcover is just what's coming off the practicals, rather than a soft top light. Look at the shadow on the quilt where it dips down between them. That wouldn't be there if lit from above. But who knows? It's often hard to tell with low key scenes like these.

I agree with most of what was said. I think there has to be a front light (probably two) because i can see the back of the book being well lit. And that is probably a very soft light that's being flagged. But the contour on the sheets tells me there's probably a light rigged from above? Or is it just the light from the lamps? It looks too sharp to be from the lamps, i think.

I agree with most of what was said. I think there has to be a front light (probably two) because i can see the back of the book being well lit.

The backs of the books are being lit by the bounce from the overhead lights. That's also what's lighting the actor's faces, although the guy on the right is also partially lit by direct light from above.

The backs of the books are being lit by the bounce from the overhead lights. That's also what's lighting the actor's faces, although the guy on the right is also partially lit by direct light from above.

I believe is the same hard light, but in the case of the woman, is more focus on the magazine, but in he's case the light hit the tablet and he's face.

Not sure, though

• 2 weeks later...