"Her" Cinematography

Robbie Fatt

Hi!

I'm particularly a fan of the cinematography in the movie "Her", shot by Hoyte Van Hoyema, and I read that he used a variety of lenses including Cooke Speed Panchros, Canon K35's and Zeiss Super Speeds on the Alexa. One of the truly memorable shots I have attached here as I'm wondering if anyone could identify the lens used here based purely on the bokeh.

To me they look like Super Speeds but I'm just looking for some opinions. I've wanted to buy some Cooke Speed Panchros for a long time but was wondering if anyone knew which scenes in this film were shot with which lens?

post-65277-0-86537700-1537011846_thumb.jpg

Thanks!

• Premium Member

Hi Robbie,

My guess would be a Cooke Speed Panchro for that shot, mainly because of the 'donut' Bokeh where a lot of the city light blobs have a bright ring around the outside. Zeiss Super Speeds create a more even blur circle. Can be deceiving though, if the actual light sources have a bright outer edge.

Also the 'cat's eye' effect you can see in this frame. where the Bokeh circles get more squished at the edges, is more pronounced with Speed Panchros. But it's also there a bit with Super Speeds, so again, I could be wrong. You would assume the Super Speeds were often used for these low light dawn/dusk shots of the city.

• 1 month later...
  • Site Sponsor

Hi Robbie - Just seen your email with regards to wanting to purchase an Amira - I am selling one at a good price with a Arri warranty included. If you email me your details to chris@thameside.tv I can send you full specification and pictures hours e.t.c for you to look at.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Chris

chris@thameside.tv

www.thameside.tv