Aaton Xtera motor wont stop

Robin Phillips

Hi all, wondering if anyone has any insights on this problem I'm having.

I got my hands on an Xtera that's been in storage for 5+ years, and while its in darn good condition its got one weird problem - attaching the battery results in the camera instantly running. The test/run wheel's position seems irrelevant to this behavior. I've swapped the body fuses, but theres no change in this behavior.

Im using the only battery that will actually charge, attached the VHR shows the battery at 13.7v

Anyone ever experienced this or something similar and have any insights? Any chance Im doing something dumb and not realizing it?

• Premium Member

Sounds like you've got a problem with either the switch or the switch connector. I would first try taking the bottom off and unplugging the switch to see if that solves the issue. Since the camera has a "software" switch as well, it could be something related to that, but I like to rule out all the mechanical issues first.

was able to get it by Able. Im less than pleased with the fact that the manual does not label the run lever that sits near the top battery release... That was fully depressed, leading to it immediately running when power was supplied. So I was doing something dumb and not realizing it.

As an Arri guy, I gotta say these Aaton design quirks are starting to make me dislike the french lol

• Premium Member

was able to get it by Able. Im less than pleased with the fact that the manual does not label the run lever that sits near the top battery release... That was fully depressed, leading to it immediately running when power was supplied. So I was doing something dumb and not realizing it.

As an Arri guy, I gotta say these Aaton design quirks are starting to make me dislike the french lol

Ohh intersting. Yea I figured it was something silly like that. I honestly didn't know the Xtera had a run switch near the battery release. Obviously for the AC to start/stop the camera, but still that's odd.

Girvan at Able said this caused a lot of confusion when these came out. Im just thrilled someone is still around in the US who knows about them and their quirks (and has spare parts in stock)

Ohh intersting. Yea I figured it was something silly like that. I honestly didn't know the Xtera had a run switch near the battery release. Obviously for the AC to start/stop the camera, but still that's odd.