XTR Plus Viewfinder Image is Flipped 90 Degrees

Charles Cadkin

I have a potentially stupid question with hopefully an easy answer that I'm just overlooking.

I haven't used my XTR in a few months and when I last used it, it was completely fine. However, I recently took it out to shoot and looked through the viewfinder to see that the ground glass with all frame lines as well as the image that I was seeing were flipped 90 degrees. I've linked to some images to show what it looks like to look through the viewfinder.

It doesn't look like anything has broken or that the ground glass has slipped. I tried adjusting the viewing horizon, which only moves the image a few degrees. I'm hoping I'm just overlooking some basic feature of the camera that allows you to flip the orientation of the image.

https://imgur.com/a/arwUMR6

• Premium Member

I don't know how it happened because there is a pin that protects that from happening. However, the eyepiece is not on the right notch. So all you have to do is unscrew the eyepiece from it's locking mechanism and move it one notch over, either left or right, depends on which one works. One way will make it 180 deg out, the other way will make it perfect. I think it's gotta go right one notch.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the help, Tyler. That was exactly the problem. I honestly have no idea how it happened because I never took the eye piece off and the pin isn't broken, but it must have slipped into a different position at some point. Anyway, if it happens again I'll know what to do.