QuartzColor 400 EB ballast - opinions?

Phil Rhodes

• Premium Member

Hello

I have the option to buy a QuartzColor 400 EB, which is capable of running 400W or 575W HMIs. I'd like to use it with a 575W HMI PAR I own which was designed to work with a different ballast. The ballast I have currently causes a singing, buzzing noise in the lamp head, rather as if it's stuck permanently in flicker-free mode. I hope the QuartzColor one wouldn't have that problem.

This is an area in which I have very little experience, so I hope someone with direct experience of the QuartzColor 400 EB, or at least experience in this area, can help out.

Is the QuartzColor ballast likely to solve my buzzing noise problems? It doesn't have any high-speed or flicker-free options.

Are the ballasts likely to be compatible? The ignitor in the lamp head was supplied with the existing ballast. Is it likely to object to the QuartzColor ballast? Is the QuartzColor ballast likely to object to the ignitor?

They both have the same seven-pin Amphenol Ecomate connector, which is the smaller plastic type used on small HMIs where a VEAM is overkill. I have some hope that it should be a plug-in replacement, but can anyone tell me more?

Thanks,

Phil

Hi Phil,

I think it's necessary for us to know more about the head before a determination can be made. If we could track down a wiring diagram for both items, that would be ideal. I worry there could be differences in safety loop circuitry.

Brian

• Premium Member

Hi there

This is a head I built; I had to short a couple of pins together to get the existing ballast to start up, and I'm happy to deal with that sort of concern again.

My main concern is that the (big, scary, hot-restrike) ballast gets the power and signals it expects, and isn't damaged.

It's amazingly hard to get the pinouts for these things.

P