Someone needs to build a comparison app for formats.

Adam Frisch FSF

• Premium Member

Problem in hand:

Client wants to shoot 120fps or potentially higher (maybe 200fps). Ideally Alexa, but not cast in stone. We want minimal depth-of-field, which means the largest sensor area for the speed needed (don't care if that means less resolution, as long as it doesn't start cropping into sensor too much). As we know, when we increase frame rate, most cameras both window the sensor and/or drop resolution. Don't want windowing, or at least minimal.

Now I've just spent 1hr on the phone with people trying to find specs/resolution charts/windowing info and manuals etc trying to figure out which camera is best for these particular job parameters (i.e. what camera will allow the biggest sensor area for the given high speed).

Surely, there must be an easier way? Is there no graphical tool or app where all these parameters between all cameras can be compared? It's driving me nuts.

• Premium Member

I'd happily build such a thing - it's the sort of thing I write about and I could write a website to present the data usefully - but the sheer work involved in doing that is huge and effectively endless.

That's why it doesn't get done.