Story on the Panavision Primo Primes?

Max Field

I was reading Panavision's info page on these primes but they didn't have much other than specs.

Usually Panavision has "Panavised" versions of various cameras, did they do that with their Primo Primes? Are they rehouses of Master Primes or something?

I've always wanted to get my hands on these, just about all of my favorite films have been shot with them.

Thanks to all.

• Premium Member

Primos pre-date Master Primes. They came out in 1989 and were the first "modern" lens set designed to color-match as a series so you didn't have to test to come up with a set that matched. Before that, the mid-1970's Zeiss Super-Speeds were probably considered state-of-the-art cinema lenses.

Previously, a lot of Panavision glass was built from a mix of existing glass elements taken from different manufacturer's lenses and rehoused, but the Primos were built from the ground up by Panavision using glass made for them by Leitz Canada. Cooke S4's came out in the late-1990's and Zeiss Master Primes came out in the mid-2000's.

I think Leica Summilux-C's are the closest to the Primo look except that they are a bit cleaner and are prone to create a starburst around points of light.

• Premium Member

Iain Neil is the gentleman who, for Panavision, created and designed the Primo lens series. The Primos were the best lenses at the time on the cinematic market. It's interesting that since Iain was and still is an optical designer, prior to his employment to Panavision, he worked for Raytheon, a defense contractor, and had a huge hand in designing spy satellite optics. He is a brilliant man. And David, your observation is very keen regarding the similarities between the Leica Summilux and Primo lenses. Iain designed the Summilux as well. I had the great fortune of having numerous dealings with Iain over the years while he was at Panavision.

G

• Upvote 1