Kodak 7363

I've searched the site on this topic, but I still have questions.

What even is hi-contrast b&w stock? I gather it's useful in practical special effects, ie bluescreen. Is optical printing its sole reason for existing?

The only reason I ask is I can get it fairly cheap. If it's an acceptable 16mm camera film, I'd like to use it as a training medium.

A lab stock such as this will be very slow, possibly single-digit ISO. Not such a problem in LA, but I don't know how sunny it gets in Ontario.

It won't even have a quoted ISO rating at all, you'd have to test anyway to see if you can get an acceptable low-contrast image in a suitable developer. My experience with lith film is that the image is very flat.

Presumably you have the data sheet. It's blue-sensitive, so skies will be light (as printed) and faces dark.

Edited by Mark Dunn

It's not super sunny here this week, but it does get nice and sunny. It's especially brilliant with a fresh snowfall. It's not So-Cal sun temp, but it's interesting all the same.

I was just looking for something cheap to test my camera with.

Edited by Timothy Fransky

Totally useable. Have a look.

Video transfer by me here https://vimeo.com/207964657

Looks really good, all things considered. Nice, sharp images in R8.

It is flat in certain areas, but I like what it does with the light. It reminds me a bit of old Hollywood, when they used to light interior scenes with natural light. Meaning, they built an interior set outside and only used muslin as the ceilings.