Angenieux 16-44mm zoom ( Variable prime ) T1.1.

As a long shot I enquire if anyone has a machinist's diagram or design for a PL-Mount for one of these fairly rare lenses. I am building up one out of two which have different defects. One has a cameflex mount, the other which is very incomplete but fortunately has a good front element has an Aaton mount. Given the move to 4K+ these days,a 2/3" / Super16mm digital cinema camera image is a harder sell but then again am not quite so hard to please and happy to use an SI2K with Optar prime lenses. Any advice appreciated. An online enquiry with Angenieux yielded no reply.

Edited by Robert Hart

• Premium Member

Does that lens have an intermediate mount that allows different camera mounts to be fitted (like some other Angenieux zooms)? It would be a round lock ring near the back that unscrews and allows the mount to come off. If so, you could make a PL version and use the other mounts to work out what your flange distance needs to be.

As for PL specs, plenty of manufacturers will have them, but you might find it hard to get that info. You can easily measure a PL mount yourself though, and work out the dimensions. Alternatively, buy an adapter with a PL mount and use that. Ideally they are made from Stainless, but cheaper options exist. Companies like Zeiss might sell you a PL mount as well. You would just need to machine a mating cylinder that attaches to the zoom (and get the crucial flange depth right). It would definitely be adviseable to pay a lens technician for some help with the collimation.

Dom. Thank you for your response. I have some machining skills and small lathe and have previously made PL and IMS mounts and adaptors for Speedboosters. PL-Mounts are tricky but doable if you are precise and get the method right. The mount arrangement in this lens appears to be as you say, an intermediate piece with the mounts in my two specimens permanently fixed to it by press or thermal shrinkage. I may go the route of a third-party ARRI B/Standard to PL-Mount adaptor and turn out the inner diameter to suit or remachine the Cameflex or Aaton tail with a suitable thick shim to move the flange face forward. The entire intermediate piece is a bigger ask of a home machinist in that the thread pitches are very fine. One version of a PL-Mount I have seen on reduser appears to have been an intermediate adaptor and PL-Mount tails for Optar Illumina lenses. If I can get hold of the machining detail for that intermediate adaptor I would have a shot at making it. Collimation I can handle - with due care of course.