Need information on Bolex H16

Edwin Feliu

Do I need to adjust the viewfinder on top for focusing before shooting? I've been measuring the distance in feet with the ring on my Cine Ektar. Or do I use both? Thanks for any feedback. FYI it's a non-reflex.

Edited by Edwin Feliu

• Premium Member

You need to adjust the viewfinder eyepiece for your eye so that it is focussed on the ground glass. With the lens defocussed and pointed at a bright area, adjust the eyepiece until you can see the texture of the ground glass, then lock it off.

Use the top viewfinder for critical focus, when depth of field is shallow (more open f stops, closer distances, longer lenses), or just to see exactly what the lens is seeing. Check that the focus scale on the lens matches the distance when you focus by eye (you can usually trust the eye focus more than the lens scale). If the scale matches up, you can use that too. It's especially handy for less critical focussing - when depth of field is greater or focussing further away, or just in a hurry by estimating the distance. Often with wider lenses it's hard to see when the focus is sharpest, so best then to rely on the scale.

Thanks, Dom. That sums it up well and clears my uncertainty. I've made many errors so far in shooting with the Bolex, but I imagine that's part of the learning curve and knowing the camera. Sure having a lot of fun, though. So far, only two films.