Jared Hagemann

Worth it to join 600? - Los Angeles

Hey Everyone-

I'm a camera operator and occasional DOP new to the Los Angeles area (less than a month in) after working for the past several years in Tennessee as a non union operator.

I've begun the process of submitting my non union days to Contract Services for the Industry Experience Roster, but I was curious about the experience of everyone here as far as whether or not it's worth joining. As it is now, I have limited connections in the union world (hopefully I'll gain more soon).

Let's say I join: do you think new avenues will open up for me being a member of 600 as I gain new connections, or is it better to continue on the nonunion route for the forseeable future?

If you're a working member of 600 now, how long did you wait to join? Did it make a big difference in your career being a member?

Thanks for your time, and I'd love any insight anyone can offer.

--Also, in case anyone cares, my experience has been in mainly these true crime documentary shows (Tennessee is a mecca for those) both filming as a DOP and camera operator in the field interview side and the re-enactment side (Which operate like filming a low budget movie every week).