• Premium Member

There is a scene at the beginning of episode 6 that is 8+ minutes long with roughly 11 actors, lots of lighting effects, a camera that's constantly moving with different groups of actors and no cuts. Very interesting!

Behind the scenes here....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=n8gJ81M39Ig

• Upvote 1

Very nicely shot and graded series. A trifle too dark in some scenes. I wanted to wipe off the screen to see it better. Many dramas are done this way lately so w/e.

The writing was interesting right up till the end. Then it turned maudlin and hammy. It also felt rushed, like they wrote it last minute.

• Premium Member

I actually thought the grading on this show was awful, and made the Alexa 65 footage look cheap and videoish. I kept trying to adjust my TV settings, thinking I'd accidentally turned some weird smoothing effect on.

The first 5 episodes were great in terms of writing and general directing, but that 6th one felt very gimmicky, with the long takes and rotating camera moves, and the writing suddenly took on a sort of Mamet play stiffness. I understand that they wanted to create a sort of mini-finale given that we'd gone through each child's perspective in the previous episodes and now they were all gathered together, but the long takes and spinning camera just accentuated that the drama was becoming more soap than anything scary or dramatic, and there was no big reveal to justify it all. It's a pity, the show is otherwise the best horror series I've seen in a long while.

It's a pity, the show is otherwise the best horror series I've seen in a long while.

Unfortunately I disliked the look and some of the acting so much that I couldn't get to episode 6.

Acting was pretty awful too. It was like a bunch of actors got together to exercise their craft, but without real purpose or motivation.

Edited by Samuel Berger

Acting was pretty awful too. It was like a bunch of actors got together to exercise their craft, but without real purpose or motivation.

I'd agree with this. I would say it was the writing and direction. It felt like most of the student work from when I was in theatre school. Like they'd read "Long Day's Journey Into Night" by Eugene O'Neill and thought they could do the same.

Dom mentioned David Mamet, but I don't find his plays stiff. I agree the writing here turned boilerplate and theatrical in the worst sense. One character tells a long, meandering story with extremely obvious symbolism, then the next character does, then the next. None of them really meet anywhere.

The redhead ghost made no sense whatsoever. Neither did the house, for that matter. I didn't understand what it actually was or did. It seemed like they wanted to riff on "The Shining," but got lost up their own buttholes.

Edited by Timothy Fransky