Canon 310XL 8mm + Kodak Vision 3 50D

Ben Andrew

Hello,

I have a Canon 310XL, and as I am very new to 8mm filming, I followed the instructions of a video online for this model and loading film into it - I loaded it and filmed, the Ft. gauge on the side of the camera is now at 50ft, and it hasn't stopped filming or clicked now that it's reached 50ft, the engine keeps spinning - I'm wondering if this is normal for this model or not, as when I open the side of the camera, I can see that not 1 or 2 of the "notches" are pressed down from the canister of film, perhaps this roll needed a "notch hack" or the film doesn't need to hit one of the internal meter notches or something similar.... So, my question is: Can I take the canister out and have it developed as soon as it's hit 50ft? Because it seems like neither of the 2 notches were clicked into place, will that affect my film?

I filmed in daylight, with no 85 filter applied, and no light meter button raised. It's been on the 50ft mark for awhile and I've kept filming every now and then to see if it'd click or stop running, but it hasn't, would that mean the final frame of the film is still being filmed over?

Any help would be great, thanks!

I might be misinterpreting what you're saying, but the only advice I can give is that the film in the cartridge 'window' should have "Exposed" (or something similar) printed in white lettering on it when the whole 50ft cartridge has come to the end. The camera should stop at that point too. Possibly the camera has a slipping clutch but really I don't know.

I might be misinterpreting what you're saying, but the only advice I can give is that the film in the cartridge 'window' should have "Exposed" (or something similar) printed in white lettering on it when the whole 50ft cartridge has come to the end. The camera should stop at that point too. Possibly the camera has a slipping clutch but really I don't know.

Alright, thanks for the advice, I don't think you've misinterpreted it. If I just pull out the cartridge now, is there anything that could go wrong? I can't tell if there should be a different sound when the cartridge is filming - But possibly it does have the clutch, good point.

• 4 weeks later...

Most Super 8 cameras except for high end ones like the Canon 814XL-S won't actually tell you when the film ends. They don't have methods for being able to tell when it's run out. So you just have to listen. You'll hear a slightly more "hollow" sound when it's finally ended. More of a "shhhhhh" than a "chk-chk-chk" noise. This is obviously happening when you get to the 50' mark on the gauge. And like Jon said, the absolute, sure-fire way to find out is just to remove the cart and look at the film window on the cartridge which should have the word EXPOSED printed. If it's not there, there's still some film left but now your footage counter in the camera is reset. Just something to remember. Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...