Sony FS5 has a $750 price drop to under $3.5K

David Peterson

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1185424-REG/sony_pxw_fs5_xdcam_super_35.html

Spotted the news when I was checking up on the HiSpeedCamera website:

http://www.hispeedcams.com/sony-fs5-240fps-full-hd-camera-gets-750-price-drop/

Didn't realise a new FS5 had dropped to well under four grand.
But I had already noticed the prices of a FS5 on eBay had been steadily trending down this year.

So while the the FS700 had become more and more attractive (around US$1.5K ish is a common price on eBay for a FS700), if the FS5 comes down in price to only be another $1K more (as I'm sure the price drop on a new FS5 will apply pressure to eBay prices!) then it might be a tough ask to buy a FS700 when the FS5 is only a little more. Hmmmm.....

But the Sony PMW-F3 on eBay for as low as possibly US$750ish itself for a whole camera (the FS5 price drop equals a whole F3!) remains attractive, especially as I wouldn't need to buy a new recorder at all for a 2nd F3 camera. (although in the last month or two the low end floor price of an F3 seems to have trended back up to $1K, I dunno... just a momentary blip I assume in the overall inevitable decline in prices for everything)

Plus of course let's not forget the new BMPCC4K and the many other mirrorless cameras recently released.

I'll have my black paintbrush at the ready to upgrade my FS5mk1 to a mk2! ;-)

The mk1 already has the variable ND built in.

Oh yes your right.. sorry I was thinking of the fs7.. MkII has the "Venice Look" REc709 color thing.. And the BLACK switch !.. I wonder if its just clearing stock or some Interbee announcement.. Blue knob maybe..

Edited by Robin R Probyn

The fs5II has its default gamma curve tweaked to "replicate" the new Lucent 709 color science of the Venice camera. and have a higher DR than Sonys conventional REC709...at last Sony got away from engineers setting stuff from color charts and scopes.. to actually doing it to look nice .. something Arri have been doing for a while it seems.. but better late then never for Sony I guess.. doesn't effect the LOG curves ..