The best new cinematogapher in the world

Hamid Khozouie

Elect the best new cinematographer in the world .

The best new cinematographer means who shows a creative idea in these 10 or 15 years.

My choices are :

DARIUS KHONDJI

CHRISTOPHER DOYLE

RODRIGO PRIETO

DION BEEBE

SEAMUS MCGARVEY

ROGER PRATT

Be thanks for your consideration .

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member

P.S. If anyone has technical information on how diCorcia's made his Cuba Libra photographs, especially the one in a bar open to the street, I love to be enlightened. Viewed as a 30" x 40" print, which is how it was exhibited at New York's Museum of Modern Art last year, it has quite wonderful gradations of colour and luminosity.

Edited by R. Edge

Guest filmmakermilan

I dont know the work of all the mentioned DPs, so my opinion is somewhat biased. However, I do like a lot of the work by Khondji and Beebe.

• Premium Member
I think that a good place to choose "the best in the world" is... an olympic games stadium. Let`s not make this website something it is not meant to be.

I think that this is a good topic to discuss. I'm always looking to watch features, shorts, tv series, etc. that have great cinematography. When I find out from a person like "R. Edge" that Phillip-Lorca de Corcia and Jeff Wall do good work, it makes me want to watch their stuff.

My choices are:

Caleb Deschanel

Vitorio Storaro

Conrad Hall

• Premium Member
Elect the best new cinematographer in the world .

The best new cinematographer means who shows a creative idea in these 10 or 15 years.

Do you not think that Deschanel, Storaro and Hall have all had creative ideas in the last 10-15 years. I'm guesing that he meant not to chose people like John Alton who was born in 1902.

• Premium Member

There's a guy named Chris Jordan from Seattle who will be the subject of an article in the New York Times Magazine this weekend. Some of his photographs will also be in the August issue of the Smithsonian Magazine, and his work will be exhibited in a number of private galleries on the west coast and New York in September.

He is not a cinematographer, but his work is both artistically and technicallly interesting and would be of interest at least to cinematographers who shoot certain kinds of time lapse.

Has anyone seen the DVD dedicated to Michel Gondry's work? His roots appear to be in animation (he specifically acknowledges Norman McLaren) and watching the development of his earlier work to what he is doing now makes it clear that he is quite talented.

Well, I wouldn't call any of the above mentioned NEW cinematographers..

My thoughts exactly. Nonetheless,

Bojan Bazelli

David Mullen

Jeff Cronenweth

Lance Acord

(among the others mentioned)

No, they're not axactly "new", but they have (more or less) been shooting more "A list" or hollywood films in the past 10-15 years.

There's a lot of music video and commercial shooters that people don't hear much about that are doing some really nice work.

• Premium Member
No, they're not axactly "new", but they have (more or less) been shooting more "A list" or hollywood films in the past 10-15 years. 

Hah! Not me... and I only got out of film school 14 years ago and only joined the union three years ago.

But I appreciate being lumped in a list of much better cinematographers!

• Premium Member

I didn't shoot anything that broke the 1 mil. budget mark until "Northfork", which was something like my twenty-third feature, so there was no reason to join the union because the budgets were too low.

It costs a DP close to $10,000 to join after all.

After "Northfork", the Polish Brothers were supposed to make a 15 million dollar movie for Miramax so I joined the union for that, only to have the project fall apart. But six months later I was shooting "D.E.B.S." which went union in the first week.

It just "felt" like the time to join when I did so I sort of timed it right -- out of my last six features, four were union.

I also joined just at the time that studios started forming indie divisions and we started to see more of these 3 to 6 mil. low-budget IA productions.

I didn't shoot anything that broke the 1 mil. budget mark until "Northfork", which was something like my twenty-third feature, so there was no reason to join the union because the budgets were too low.

It costs a DP close to $10,000 to join after all.

After "Northfork", the Polish Brothers were supposed to make a 15 million dollar movie for Miramax so I joined the union for that, only to have the project fall apart.  But six months later I was shooting "D.E.B.S." which went union in the first week. 

It just "felt" like the time to join when I did so I sort of timed it right -- out of my last six features, four were union.

I also joined just at the time that studios started forming indie divisions and we started to see more of these 3 to 6 mil. low-budget IA productions.

I think David Mullens is the best new cinematographer for being humble enough to offer all his knowledge in these forums.

hello,

In the 10-15 years range, if we call "new" cinematographers, i would like to name Harris savides. A great cinematographer, with enormous skills and especially a huge sensibility and organic approach.

and Matthew Libatique is a great technician and artist who create beautiful and striking image. don't know if he's the "best" (odd notion) but has a great visual influence, like savides and khondji, prieto etc ...

thomas

Thomas,

I took the liberty of checking your website out. I love the lighting and style of your color stills. Any chance you could enlighten me with the technical specs of those shots? What camera/film/lights/filters did you use? Great work.

Thanks,

Jonathan

Thomas,

I took the liberty of checking your website out. I love the lighting and style of your color stills. Any chance you could enlighten me with the technical specs of those shots? What camera/film/lights/filters did you use? Great work.

Thanks,

Jonathan

hello jonathan,

first, many thanks for your nice and encouraging comments about the stills.

the technical specs about the color pictures are very simple : no filters and no additionnal lights. and the film is esentially fujifilm 400 and 200 iso, always processed normally for my color stills. the camera is a minox 35 GL and an horizon 202 for the panoramic ones.

i never "light" the stills i take. i keep this "pleasure" for my motion picture works. i just stand there and shoot what i find interesting to my eye. so it's as simple as it can be.

Then i scan the neg and work the pictures with photoshop, but no particular effects; i just adjust the color, saturation, contrast and density. and i essentially enjoy to mimic what you do in a enlarger to make a print : "burn" or "lighten" some specific parts of the picture to play with different densities. it gives the image a presence, a strength and a texture.

the kind of things you can do it a digitally timed motion picture with "windows" and so on.when i am in a grading session, i sometimes try to use these kind of method but it takes a lot of times and sometimes it's nearly impossible because of the moving images !

but it's a very interesting kind of work. and i am glad you liked it.

thanks again.

thomas

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Mr. Mullen is so humble. As one who is familiar with film and photography, I

only had to view "North Fork" one time to realize that it was filmed and lit by

a master of light. I believe I've viewed it now about 15 times. Nick Nolte bend-

ing over the little boy(I believe he's on his knees),is one of my favorite all time

film scenes. One of my highschool photography interns this summer was a young

girl who shows promise. She watched "North Fork" this summer in the studio on a

wide screen. She said, who photographed that film? I said David Mullen,he's a cin-

ematographer.

M. David Mullen ASC

Darius Khondji ASC

Mauro Fiore ASC

Dean Semler ASC

Harris Savides ASC

Affonso Beato ASC

Paul Cameron

Greg Gross

• Premium Member

my choices

(in no particular order)