Weddings, etc. Have camera, will travel

Jon O'Brien

What camera do freelance wedding videographers use, and people starting out who seek to eke out a buck or two from whatever means they might do so on a freelance basis, or is that a subject as wide and as deep as the Atlantic? Can you use anything you like, or are there some general trends?

Where does one even start? As a background, I'm a total film person and an amateur who wants to do something more. I've only ever used 8 and 16mm. I've just gone through a big change in life and am looking for other things to do. I will stick with 16mm but want to get into digital too. Or is it all a waste of money, trying to make money with a camera unless you're in New York, Tokyo, Melbourne, London or Sydney?

Edited by Jon O'Brien

Having just bought a Sony A7III and a Ronin S.. and joined the Face Book "user" pages.. it looks like 99% of weddings are shot with Sony A series or Pana GH4/5.. all of them use gimbals and multi camera,s ( un manned wides etc).. quite a few have drones .. but looks like out of city area,s use only.. had this discussion on another thread but to my mind no one is using "large" video camera,s for weddings anymore.. it looks like its very hard work .. and then you have the parties into the evening..mostly they do the editing too it seems.. but people are making a living out of it for sure.. but with ever cheaper gear and higher expectations Im sure its a crowded market and you have to be good and be able to hustle a bit for work I would imagine.. they also seem to be very young !..

I can imagine a short film, about a wedding photographer starting out, who bungles the drone and it goes haywire. Probably been done before. Something along the lines of The Loaded Dog, by Henry Lawson (Australians will know what I'm on about. Possibly NewZealanders too). Thanks for the tips. The 16mm idea occurred to me of course - a limited market though but I'd definitely give it a shot. Might get someone in Uzbekistan to help out with the editing. Get a Krasnogorsk and go the real McCoy.

Actually there are a few reasons why I got the wedding (and other things) videography idea: Done wedding gigs, as a musician, so I've been there done that as a job (rubbed shoulders with photographers and seen what they do and how stressful their job looks [doesn't seem too bad], but no videographers with drones so far); filmed my first wedding on Super 8 the other day and it was a success; I'm planning on getting a whizz bang editing/grading computer so it makes sense to get into digital cameras as well as film; and finally, went to a country show and there was an old guy there, looked a bit like Colonel Sanders (of chicken fame), with digital camera on fluid head tripod, must have been more than 20 years older than me, and he does casual/contract work for the local tv station, filming events. I neglected to find out exactly what he was shooting on but it looked like a conventional digital camera, not a DSLR. I thought, well if he can do it (looked pretty easy, what he was doing), then why can't I give it a go.

Edited by Jon O'Brien

A bit retro but fairly interesting re cameras we have used here over the years doing Weddings.

First camera 1980 Ferguson Videostar 3V20A and semi portable VHS recorder ah those were the days...

Later various Sony 8 and Hi-8 camcorders.

My favourite for Weddings back the was a couple of Canon DM-XM2 Mini DV which were super reliable and very popular with Videographers.

Later landed a JVC JYHD110 ADX batts etc, OK camera but a bit plasticy.

My latest and last round of cameras are Canon once again before I retire in a few years and having produced hundreds of Wedding Videos for my sins I think its fair to say I've seen it all in that time.

My own Wedding I had filmed on Super 8 oh the irony!