Barrel Roll Camera Rig

Max Field

I can't for the life of me remember a shot which did this maneuver (perhaps Star Wars or a jet fighting movie).

What are some options for obtaining a barrel roll shot where the camera goes a full 360 around the axis of the lens?

I'm assuming on GoPro it's pretty easy, but for heavier cinema cameras.

Been dreaming of doing a low-angle ground-tracking shot like this for years and wanted to see what's needed.

Thanks to all!

Here's how they did it with a Technicolor camera. This was posted by FX cameraman Jim Aupperle on the "Motion Picture Technology" facebook page. No one is sure what show it was rigged up for, but there's some speculation that it's from the movie “The Band Wagon”, in which Fred Astaire’s number “The Girl Hunt Ballet" has a spinning camera when he gets knocked out: https://youtu.be/SaGbuoMlIvE?t=19

post-2507-0-60379700-1540830836_thumb.jpg

post-2507-0-04572900-1540830848_thumb.jpg

post-2507-0-08940500-1540830857_thumb.jpg

• Premium Member

Some probe lens systems like the P&S Technik T Rex and the Cinemagic Revolution have a spinning prism feature that allows for 360 degree rolls in very small spaces. Easily controlled by hand or a motor.

Lambda 3rd axis attachment is bulky but can achieve this.

Dom's suggestion of using a T-Rex or Skate Scope is a great low impact way to do this especially if in a tight space. The trade off is you'll need lots of light.

• Upvote 1