I broke an inline rocker switch and now I'm lost...

So I have a Mole-Richardson 1k zip softlight (got it for less than $100 on ebay). However, I accidentally stepped on the switch the other day. So naturally I called up Mole, gave them the exact model of light I had and asked about replacing it. They confidently gave me a part number and a (semi) local store I could get the part at. So I went to the website of the store, bought the part and when it arrived, I was completely confused.

Below I attached a picture of the broken rocker switch and the switch that came in the mail (Mole 400-16) which is exactly what Mole told me was the appropriate replacement part. I have little to no electrical knowledge so here I am asking for a bit of advice. How do I wire this correctly? I've searched around the internet and can't find anything on how to wire this piece? Especially since it doesn't match my previous piece. Any advice at all is welcome. I'm at a total loss.

43824788310_8139ff14a9_c.jpg20181029_184904 by Matthias Claflin, on Flickr

31770464298_34a171dcac_c.jpg20181029_184840 by Matthias Claflin, on Flickr

My concern is the exposed wires that I may come into contact with after wiring. I know the switch works, and I know how to connect it to the cable. I don't know how to safely cover the wire that remains exposed. I bring this up because I've read online that I shouldn't put electrical tape directly on exposed wire. How do I go about insulating it or covering it?

45593244772_936bdf3ffd_z.jpg20181031_002136 by Matthias Claflin, on Flickr

45643806131_3386cca3cf_k.jpg20181031_002145 by Matthias Claflin, on Flickr

Edited by Matthias Claflin

• Premium Member

If it's not obvious why what you've done is definitely not OK, stop now and get someone to repair it for you.

Anyway - I'd be a bit careful about following most of the instructions you'll find on the internet for this, as they're aimed at wiring up table lamps and the like. A domestic table lamp is likely to be rated at under 100W - or even less, these days, with low-energy lightbulbs in the 10-20W range. Many of the switches I see advertised for that sort of application are only rated at 6 amps and aren't anywhere near adequate for a 1000W light on USA mains, which will draw around ten amps.

You need a reasonably heavy-duty inline rocker switch. B&H sell an Arri spare rated to 20A. Edit: Looking closer I'm not sure if that one has screw terminals or if you'd need crimped-on spade connectors, but anyway, something like that.

P

I totally understand that what I did in the picture above is not safe enough to use. I really don't know anything about this side of the business as all my previous light experience was with LED panels, CFL or full size fluorescent fixtures (which all draw far less power) so I never learned anymore than I had to.

That said I may just buy the arri rocker because it looks closer to what was on before. Thanks for the advice and patience. I'm entirely uneducated on the electric side of filmmaking.

I totally understand that what I did in the picture above is not safe enough to use. I really don't know anything about this side of the business as all my previous light experience was with LED panels, CFL or full size fluorescent fixtures (which all draw far less power) so I never learned anymore than I had to.

That said I may just buy the arri rocker because it looks closer to what was on before. Thanks for the advice and patience. I'm entirely uneducated on the electric side of filmmaking.

As Phil mentioned that you'd need to buy a crimp tool and connectors to use that switch- it has spade terminals.

It's perfectly acceptable to use a switch with screw terminals at 10A if it's rated for that and properly fitted.

The 99p. Chinese ones look a bit flimsy. I think I'd be happy with one of these

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1x-Feed-Through-In-Line-Cord-Rocker-Switch-10A-125V-SPST-Philmore-30-9851/183078485282?hash=item2aa053fd22:g:D40AAOSwnsRahw6q:rk:3:pf:0&shqty=1#shId

as long as there's enough strain relief so the cord can't get pulled loose.

If you do go ahead yourself, do some homework on the basics and get some practice. You can teach yourself to do simple electrical jobs- I did, I'm sure Phil did- but the first lesson should be on safety.

Edited by Mark Dunn

I think Mole stopped using the plastic rocker switches some years ago. (it looks a bit like the older-style switch used on the power cords for the Lowel Tota)

The switch you received is the current model, and the switch housing is a separate item.

For a complete replacement switch, including housing, you might want to go with an Arri or even possibly a Lowel switch if it accepts the cable size. Those might be the cheapest options.

I think someone replaced the original switch.

here is the parts breakdown of the housing and the switch- which you already have.

http://mole.com/media/images/catalogs/pdfs/product/data/parts/2831_parts.pdf

Then it's a no-brainer. Unless they're seriously expensive, get the proper parts, with strain relief built-in.

I can't think what that odd-looking butterfly is for,, though- maybe a rubber sheet to give a little flexibility?

Edited by Mark Dunn