Projectors with removable gates

Patrick Cooper

I believe there are a fair few super 8 projectors where the gate can be completely removed for cleaning. Just wondering if the pressure plate can usually be removed as well? Wonder if I can sandwich them together outside the projector as part of a DIY transfer unit. Ive given up on the idea of converting a projector for telecine as I lack the patience.

By the way, my projectors use a different design for cleaning - the lens swings out to the side to provide access to the gate.

Depends how far you go back but yes. Eumig were the largest manufacturer by far with the 800 series models having removable gates front and back. Norisound have a swing down gate and rear spring pressure for near constant focus. Sankyo and Fujiscope swing forward and does sound like you may have a Elmo which swing outward. Eumig machines in the 70's were known at 'the work horse' because of reliability and so many of these are still in use today.

The Elmo st-180E (and one other, I think) has a speed control under the cover; in the rear; for fine tuning 18fps and 24fps. You can project on a small screen and do a telecine with a video camera that records at 24p. A friend of mine has been running a very successful film transfer business; for many years; and he uses this method with this projector and a Sony camera. He just fine tunes the speed adjustment until the frame rate locks in.

Not ideal but we have all done it in our time. The main problem is the hot spot generated by a 100 watt Halogen lamp, but back in the day early 80's we did change the lamp for a 12 volt 50 watt type to reduce the central intensity somewhat.

Things have changed dramatically in cine film transfer as we know with scanning each frame but we sure had a great deal of fun back then experimenting with 8mm 16mm and even 9.5mm trying to get the best we could at the time down to trusty VHS tape.