varun sud

Calibrating viewfinder and field monitors

Hi Everyone

I am a DP from India. Often the cameras that come for shoot don't have properly calibrated monitors and viewfinders. Since there isnt always a DIT on set, different monitors have different look. Especially if the camera viewfinder doesn't seem right it's a frustrating experience. Is there a way I can calibrate the viewfinder and onboard camera monitor for the Alexa or Red cameras? I don't mind buying a device/tool to do the job. Can somebody pls suggest a solution.

Thanks

Varun

There isn't to the best of my knowledge. Its poor practice to use the viewfinder for anything more than framing and focus anyway. Use a light meter, scopes and an understanding of digital imaging.

There is no way to calibrate a camera viewfinder. Some are ok, some not so much.

If your on set monitor is not really calibrated, then you must use a waveform, light meter, or histogram, or false color display to set your exposure and lighting levels.

That said, it's not so important that your on set display be color accurate, but it's helpful that it have the correct gamma curve to match what you have coming out of the camera.