Problems with Bolex H16

Edwin Feliu

• Premium Member

Are you looking at a scan, or on a projector? Either way, it's not the camera, but the way you're viewing it. The camera can only expose one frame, but a projector for example can be offset to project part of one frame and into the next. It just needs the framing adjusted.

Dom, thanks for the input. Glad to know it's not the camera. What I received is a scan that shows the bottom half and upper half of frames when played. Strangely, another scan in a different format with a different camera had the same problem. I'm stumped.

• Premium Member

I should add a caveat about camera framelines: when I used to service 16mm cameras, there were jigs that aligned the camera gate to the claw or registration pin, so that each frameline aligned exactly with the centre of a perf, which was an important standardisation practice back when manual editing was common. These days with scanning being the norm, it's not as important, since scanners should be capable of making framing adjustments, overscanning etc.

I don't know enough about scanners or video formats to advise you, but the most likely explanation is that your media player/editing software is not set correctly. Or the scan is somehow way off.