issues in lighting a supermarket

I know this topic has been discussed earlier this is how i found the forum but i still have questions about building the lighting scene

i will be shooting a scene in a supermarket with a canon c300

I am concerned about the lighting I thought that i wont need to rebuild the lighting

but a friend told me that sometimes u get these flickers in camera because of the lightbulbs so you have to build a whole new set of lighting

thank you for answering me this really bothers me

• Premium Member

You just may need to play with the shutter speed to stop some individual fixtures from flickering. Sometimes switching out the bad tube helps, but sometimes it's the ballast. Worst case, you have to frame out that fixture, or just turn it off, or hide your own Kino tube in the case (if it's in a case). Most of the fixtures in the store should be fine once you fine-tune the shutter speed.

Certainly easy enough to take a camera into the store and check before you shoot there.

• Upvote 1

If you have say just a couple that flicker.. and you want to turn them off.. usually you don't have to physically take them out.. super quick way.. just pull them out of their housing slightly.. and twist the tube a bit.. they will stay in place but not be lit.. just do the opposite when you leave.. this is alot easier than actually taking the whole bulb out and storing it some where.. your 50Hz so 1/50th shutter should work to not get flicker..

• 1 month later...

Back in the day when everyone was shooting on film and had budgets it was customary to replace pre-existing fluorescent tubes with KinoFlo tubes or just put up Kino fixtures in place of the overhead lighting. I've worked in MANY settings with overhead fluorescent lighting and have yet to see or have any issues with flicker. Just keep your eyes open and have the DIT pay special attention to potential flicker issues.