H8 and 100 feet reel

Luigi Castellitto

For the first time in years and years, and after dozens of 25-inch films, I'm using a 100 foot Fomapan R100 film with my Bolex H8 Rex4.
I noticed this: having unloaded the camera, for various reasons, at 55 feet, and then reloading it, bringing it back to 55 feet (shutter closed, of course!) I saw that the motor struggles a bit ', at speeds from 32fps and next forwards. I mentioned unloading and loading, because I could well test the motor, to bring film back to 55 feet...
Perhaps it suffers from micro slowdowns, perhaps.
Grease issue? I think it's the only possible solution!
Again, no problem with the 25 feet reels (and 10 meters reels of Fompan), no problems with the 100 feet from 24fps to down. Only with 100 feet and 32fps to up.
It seems that It can not always drag the biggest reel.
What do you think? Do I have to put grease? I've never done it since I bought it.
Thank you.

• Premium Member

I think your camera needs a service, a complete overhaul. The old lubricants should be removed, everything cleaned thoroughly, reassembled, and freshly lubricated. It takes grease and oil in places. Mechanisms must be taken care of but they reward you with longevity. Failures come slowly. Electronics fail suddenly.

Reckon with around 500 Euro. I give three years warranty on my work.

I have read old discussions and I think I will have to do it, I know that then my machine will always be performing forever. I thought of you because you're the closest geographically, sending to the United States would cost me too much.

At the moment I don't have the amount, but I put aside some money and I do it. With a little savings, I managed to revise the Beaulieu 400 ZM II, the Pathé DS8, now it's up to Bolex.
And tell me, Simon, is it necessary to send the lenses too (I use the three Kern Switar and the Pan-Cinor 40 zoom) for the collimation?
Thank you.

• Premium Member

If you feel comfortable with the lenses, mechanically, there’s no need to send them. I have the equipment to check and measure the camera’s flange distances. A lens service would go separately but I would make you an all-inclusive offer when sending everything together.