Arri SR2 Viewfinder

Alex Levin

This is kind of a stupid question but I just got my SR2 and it's kind of a pain to use the viewfinder. I have yet to check it in multiple lighting conditions; which may just be my problem. But I find it so hard to look through the eyepiece and see the whole viewfinder. Is this just a quirk of the system?

• Premium Member

You need to position your eye quite centred, and a good eye-cup helps, but it shouldn't be too hard to see through. A S16 frame is usually a little offset and harder to see completely.

What sort of eyepiece is it? There were a few different types made over the years and others made by third party manufacturers, and some are better than others. From memory the fitting is the same for 2C, 35-3, 35BL, Arri S and the SR1 and 2. You might want to look for the wide angle version.

Might not be the problem.. but also from memory there is a self shutting mechanism to avoid light coming down the eye piece while shooting..when you take the eye pressure away from the eye cup.. this can be locked open at all times.. thats what I used to do.. as its a bit of a pain .. if your eye isn't pushing down hard enough.. these metal petals might not be fully open.. otherwise I cant think of the problem.. its relatively a tiny viewing area.. and shouldn't be a problem to see it all .. ? of course when you shoot you will lose 50% of the brightness too..