Hawk V-lite 1.33 on Bolex EBM

Killian Lassabliere

Hello,

Next week I will be shooting for the first time on 16mm.

I'll be renting a Bolex EBM Super 16 ( PL mount ) as well as a Hawk V-Lite 16 Anamorphic 1.33. ( only one focal length for budget reasons ).

I've been looking all around the internet and I can't seem to find any information on that specific combo.

So I was wondering if any of you ever used a similar setup? I'm mainly concern about focusing on the fly without a monitor desqueeze ?

We'll be filming at two locations, one indoor ( natural light coming thought sheers ), and a rooftop at dawn/dusk.

I'm thinking about getting some Kodak Vision 3 250D. I read that it is recommended to overexposed quit a bit, ( which is the opposite of what I've been doing on digital ). Would you guys have any advice on how to expose in those lighting conditions?

Thanks a lot for your help,

In terms of not having a desqeeze viewfinder, 1.33X squeeze isn't too drastic - so its still possible to compose with care when looking at a squeezed image.

I used a 1.33X anamorphic back in the miniDV days to shoot 16:9 on 4:3 cams. Once you get your eye in, its surprising how quick you adapt.

• Premium Member

I'll be renting a Bolex EBM Super 16 ( PL mount ) as well as a Hawk V-Lite 16 Anamorphic 1.33. ( only one focal length for budget reasons ).

I've been looking all around the internet and I can't seem to find any information on that specific combo.

Probably because most productions with the budget to rent Hawks would rent a more modern S16 camera, and PL isn't the standard mount on Bolexes. Also the Bolex prism introduces aberrations when shot at apertures under about f/3.5, which is why it's generally better to use RX lenses on a reflex Bolex, at least for focal lengths under 50mm. Since they open to f/1.5, you might want to test a V-lite 16 on the EBM first to see how noticeable the abberrations are if you want to shoot at larger apertures.

Thanks for the answers,

Probably because most productions with the budget to rent Hawks would rent a more modern S16 camera, and PL isn't the standard mount on Bolexes. Also the Bolex prism introduces aberrations when shot at apertures under about f/3.5, which is why it's generally better to use RX lenses on a reflex Bolex, at least for focal lengths under 50mm. Since they open to f/1.5, you might want to test a V-lite 16 on the EBM first to see how noticeable the abberrations are if you want to shoot at larger apertures.

I will do some tests when picking up the lens, ( hopefully I'll be able to spot any aberrations thought the unsqueezed viewfinder )

Thanks !

• 10 months later...