Timecode? Newbie Question

Randy J Tomlinson

So, i got my Arri SR3 the other Day and im off the Moon. Lovin it. It came with the Standard IVF and ZV4 TC Splitter, and here the "???" illuminate in my Eyes. No Idea. I have never dealt with TC before. I did everything Analog, writing on the Clapper Board, yelling scene blabla take one etc... However, im not afraid to ask because even on Youtube i could not find Answers.

So, there is this Company who makes these Clapperboards with "Standard TC Input Signals": http://www.denecke.com

Can someone please push me into the right Direction? What do i need to start? The Slate (of course) and a TC Generator? How do i connect these onto my SR3? And what type of Audio Recorder do i need? Certainly the Recorder and the Clappboard must be Synchronised, however, what is the ZV4 for? I mean the Display with the Digits is to be Filmed and the same Timecode is Synchron on a Recorder.

I'm sure someone is used to this and can Explain this to me :) I'm aware the TC / Slate / Recorder thing, how it should work, but what about the TC Signal from the Camera? I'm filming the Digits....why do i need a Signal from the Camera? I'm confused.

Thank you.

Wanna see Pix of my SR3? :D :)

SR3 Advanced Body with IVS , 2 Brandnew Batteries, Charger, 4 Mags in Metalcase, 1 RCU-1 in Case, DC 2 DC Converter, ZV4 Splitter, Leather Barney, Rain Cover.

Edited by Randy J Tomlinson