Custom made ground glass?

Carl Nenzen Loven

Hi there,

I finally have gotten my Eclair ACL kit to work, and it has been out on a handful of jobs. I love it.

Thing is, I am now making a video tap for it, to try to modernize and make it an alternative to the alluring SR's, and 416's of the world. One issue though is that the repairman that made my conversion, Bernie at Super 16 Inc, made the frame lines by hand. And that's all good for myself using it privately, but it does come across as a bit unprofessional in the working world.

My question is, is there anyone in the Los Angeles area that potentially could make me a custom ground glass to replace what I already have in the camera? Preferably someone that knows Aatons internals (since they are basically an Eclair).

//C

Paul at Shruco Tool is who Andree at AM uses IIRC, I think hes the last guy around that resurfaces them (at least Arri ground glasses). I know hes about to do a batch of them this month, might want to email him this week at shurcotool@aol.com. Hes a bit old school, so email turnaround tends to be a few days to a week

Hi Carl,

I have a NPR in exactly the same situation, and I want to install a camera on it too. I was thinking about using the camera most of the time and establishing marks on the monitor with actual guidelines after testing with film, but if you can find someone who can do it, I'd be interested in knowing more if you want to share that info.

Hi Carl,

I have a NPR in exactly the same situation, and I want to install a camera on it too. I was thinking about using the camera most of the time and establishing marks on the monitor with actual guidelines after testing with film, but if you can find someone who can do it, I'd be interested in knowing more if you want to share that info.

Ill let you know for sure.

Im building a 4K video tap as well, Ill let you know about that as well...

Ill let you know for sure.

Im building a 4K video tap as well, Ill let you know about that as well...

Thanks Carl, I definitelly would like to know more about that project you are working in.

I'm getting good result with some inexpensive cameras too, not even HD, but they work fine if you only want a monitor and they cost less than $20. I'll send you some pictures later.

Paul at Shruco Tool is who Andree at AM uses IIRC, I think hes the last guy around that resurfaces them (at least Arri ground glasses). I know hes about to do a batch of them this month, might want to email him this week at shurcotool@aol.com. Hes a bit old school, so email turnaround tends to be a few days to a week

They do not do Eclairs anymore.

C

That's kind of what I was expecting. Adding a video tap can still be helpful, since you can put the marks on a monitor with tape or something fancier, it would't be universal, but let's you work and frame properly at least.

• Upvote 1