Aerial Lift Soft Source

Hi everyone,

I have an upcoming shot of a car parked outside a restaurant at night. I'd like to create a large soft source just above it to nicely show its lines. I was thinking of using a aerial lift and making a soft box with a skirt, say a 12x12.

My question is: what sort of lamp would be good for this?

I would prefer tungsten, so a 10K?

And the second question is what limits should I look for for ordering the lift. I dont have experience using it before.

Here is a pic simalar to what I'd like to create.

One thing to consider is that the car is basically mirror at night.... so if you are anywhere near light sources you'll see them in the cars body work.

Lights from across the street, street lights, etc etc.

Might just defeat the whole softbox/ nice lines shot you are trying to capture.

Hi ed, we are actually shooting in south Africa. Does this 40' have outriggers? We need to keep a smallish footprint. I was looking at this but I'm worried about the weight bearing:

https://www.manliftgroup.com/en/rental/products/5637144934_jlg_600aj

So my question is what sort of lamp can I place on it to fill a 12x12 with skirting and still get the arm out say 6m or so...

• Premium Member

The brochure says 1000 lb capacity though I wouldn't push my luck.

For a 12'x12' or 8'x8' soft box, I use an array of Skypanels these days, or Kino Image-80's. Wrap the diffusion frame so you don't see the ties and metal frame reflected in a car, just a soft white shape.