Arri SR3 and TV Logic LVM 074W

Hello,

I am considering to purchase a TV Logic LVM Monitor for my Arri SR3 and i wonder what if.....

The Monitor has a Zebra Option. I used this when i shot Digital with my GH5, but does it work with Film too?

Or should i rather use the good old Lightmeter? Has anyone done this Experiment yet? Using Zebra on the Monitor to set Exposure?

I'm pretty sure that Analog Film and Digital Sensors are a complete Different pair of Shoes regarding this Question.

I apprechiate your Opinion

Randy

• Premium Member

light meters all the way....you will feel better and more empowered for it too....not only that but film handles highlights way better than digital so meter for the parts you want 'lit as you imagine it'...added to that the dynamic range of film and you will do a great job if you get it scanned properly too....zebras, monitors and film unless you test will be off I would imagine.....

Edited by Stephen Perera

The video assist output has an independent gain circuit to boost the brightness of the image from the mirror. This means that the brightness of the video tap has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with how the film is being exposed.

Use a lightmeter.

To add to that, because of that and the completely different log curve of film you also shouldnt try to read your contrast ratios off of the video tap. It basically can only be used for monitoring framing.