Hello...

I have a cart of the new Super8 Ektachrome 7294 (100 ASA). I would like to shoot some film at night of the christmas lights in the yards and houses on my block. I have never tried to shot film in the dark before and I am looking for any tips you can give me.

My camera is a Canon 1014 XL-S. The shutter in my camera has a variable opening angle. Usually it is set to 150 degrees. But I can change it to 220 degrees for filming in dim light. I have not used this shutter setting before but I thought I would try.

I can set the camera to 9 fps, 18 fps and 24 fps. The manual says that if the fps is set to 18, the shutter speed is about 1/40th of a second. If I change the shutter angle to 220, then the shutter speed would be at about 1/30th of a second. I am unsure what fps to use. I normally shot everything at 24 fps.

I also have a exposure dial on this camera. I can increase or decrease the exposure setting by one F stop. I am guessing I need to increase the exposure setting by one F stop. (?)

I worry that the depth of field will be so greatly reduced that the christmas yard displays would be in focus but not with the lights in the background on the houses.

I know to pan slowly.

Can someone of you give me a few suggestions on how to shoot christmas lights in the dark? I am completely new to this kind of filming.

Thanks in advance.

mraroid

Oregon, US

• Premium Member

Super-8 inherently has a deep focus look due to the small frame and short lenses, so I wouldnt worry about having shallow focus. Probably youll want as much exposure as possible, which means drop to a lower frame rate if nothing is moving in the frame and open up the iris. Close-ups of colored light bulbs you dont need to expose as much because youll want to retain the color.