Testing film stock

Sander Burton Gran

Hey,

I've wanted to shoot on 35mm for a really really long time, and I'm finally going to do a project with it, hopefully. Therefore I'm planning to do a test shoot quite soon, and I was wondering how you may go about testing different filmstocks with different processing and so on.

For example, I'd like to test out different film speeds, aputures, overexposing at different stops and pull process, and so on. What I don't quite understand is how you can do so many tests on a limited amount of stock. As you can only buy film in certain lengths, and the lab would only do one type of processing for each can you send them, how do you do it without having it be stupendously expensive?

Do you use lots of short ends, and send each for a different processing? Do you cut the roll into to smakker pieces before sending it off? Or is there something I've missed? I can't see how everyone could fill an entire 100' roll for example for each test they do, and I've noticed some people do a pretty fair amount of testing prior to shooting, as that is indeed part of the cinematographer's job, as I've understood it.

Thanks very much in advance

If you plan on shooting your project using fresh stock I would recommend testing with fresh stock so you get accurate results. Short ends are totally fine if they come from a reliable source. Older stock need their own testing..

Before you start you should get a bunch of empty film cans with lightproof bags. If you're in L.A you can just go to Fotokem and grab them for free on the side of the building near will call. They have cores, cans and bags for 16mm, 35mm and 65mm.

For your film speed tests (I assume you mean testing 50D, 250D, 200T, 500T) you can do your over/under exposing on the same rolls and all sorts of tests.

For push/pull (let's say you're working with the 250D), shoot the exposure tests and then take the mag in the changing bag, then "snip" and "can" that roll and VERY IMPORTANT, label/identify it correctly. Re-thread the remaining film and shoot the "push +1" test, then "snip" and "can" and LABEL . Then shoot the "push +2" and so forth..

When you're done you should have 5 cans: ROLL 1 (250D Exposure tests), ROLL 2 (250D PUSH+1), ROLL 3 (250D PUSH+2), ROLL 4 (250D PULL-1), ROLL 5 (250D PULL-2), you can do extra tests like Cross Process/bleach bypass etc..

Economical Tip: Sometimes if your test rolls are small you can put 2 or 3 rolls (of the same kind of test) in 1 can and bag, for example if you have push +1 test for 50D, 250D and 200T then you can put all those in one can and bag and label that can PUSH +1 / That requires organization and make sure NOT to mix up rolls.

When you send to the lab you will have to fill out a form and you'll be able to tell them which rolls need to be "processed normal" and which rolls need to be "pushed" or "pulled".

Now if you cannot prep your film on your own for scanning you'll have to have the lab do it for you, basically they will take each mini rolls, add some leader and tail, splice them together, and do an ultrasonic cleaning on the roll.

I've done this a couple times and sent rolls of all sizes including very small ones (around 25 feet). Just make sure to shoot a couple feet before each test to make sure you're exposing non-exposed film, when you take out the mag for snip and can you burn some.

Have fun testing you'll love it

Edited by Robino Jones

Thank you so much! This helps a lot, and makes everything clearer. I'm really looking forward to do some testing.

By the way, to be absolutely 100% sure, when you say "snip" and "can", you mean bringing the film and mag out of the camera, and cutting the exposed part out, and then rethread the film that's left, right? But how do you get it out when you're not pulling the film all the way through? Do you cut it in the camera where it's threaded?

Again, thank you so much for your reply

• Premium Member

There are DOZENS of push-pull, cross processing and exposure tests done on multiple stocks on youtube and Vimeo. There is no reason to go out and do your own tests, even I have done 2 of them in the last year for multiple clients. Plus, there are so many variables with film from stock age to the machine used for the film to video transfer.

Lab's minimal processing is 100ft

Personally, I'd watch lots of samples online, talk to people and go out and simple shoot a 400ft roll so you've got some experience and then shoot the film you wanna make. Honestly, tests are more valuable to insure you know how to use the camera and that it's working properly. I mean I've got gobs of samples to share, I've just been too busy to edit it all together honestly. I even have 16mm vs 35mm and 35mm vs digital tests all shot, just need editing.

By the way, to be absolutely 100% sure, when you say "snip" and "can", you mean bringing the film and mag out of the camera, and cutting the exposed part out, and then rethread the film that's left, right? But how do you get it out when you're not pulling the film all the way through? Do you cut it in the camera where it's threaded?

yes - once your mag is in the changing bag, snip/cut the film in front of the take up core and you'll be able to remove this mini roll of exposed film. You can then install a new core in its place and re-thread. Actually you don't even need to re-thread because the film loop is already done outside the mag so you can just slide the remaining film inside the slot of the new take-up core and give it a couple turns, depends on what mag you're using, just do the same as when you loaded the mag the first time.

There are DOZENS of push-pull, cross processing and exposure tests done on multiple stocks on youtube and Vimeo. There is no reason to go out and do your own tests, even I have done 2 of them in the last year for multiple clients. Plus, there are so many variables with film from stock age to the machine used for the film to video transfer.

I agree with Tyler that there are tests available to watch and they are very valuable- especially the Kodak Vision 3 videos. The issue for me is you have no idea how they actually did their testing, you only see the end result and it looks great when shot by an ASC cinematographer. Also most film footage / tests on Vimeo and YouTube are older. Other people's test don't represent what you will be shooting, the color palettes, environments etc. It's very important to know how it will come out when YOU are shooting, not other people. You don't want to shoot important stuff and figure out mistakes on your actual project.

It's also a really great learning experience, having to go back in the mag a couple times, dealing with the Lab and most importantly seeing what you and the film can do. If you can test, test, you'll be a lot more confident.

Lab's minimal processing is 100ft

I can only speak for Fotokem but 3 weeks ago I had them process 6 mini test rolls for me and the shortest was 25' maybe other labs have minimums but Fotokem can definitely do shorter than 100'

Edited by Robino Jones

I can only speak for Fotokem but 3 weeks ago I had them process 6 mini test rolls for me and the shortest was 25' maybe other labs have minimums but Fotokem can definitely do shorter than 100'

I think Tyler meant the minimum order. Six 25s is 150', so that's fine. They just tape them up.

Edited by Mark Dunn