DVX 100A As A One Man Band

Fitzfilms

I'm interested in solutions for mounting wireless audio and camera light on the DVX 100A. Can anyone point me to any web links with pictures of such a setup? Or perhaps you have had your own experience. I'm interested in how to mount an RF receiver and how to power a light such as an Anton Bauer Ultra Light 2 and have a nice clean looking and working rig. Thanks!

• 6 months later...
Guest Grabthar
I'm interested in solutions for mounting wireless audio and camera light on the DVX 100A. Can anyone point me to any web links with pictures of such a setup? Or perhaps you have had your own experience. I'm interested in how to mount an RF receiver and how to power a light such as an Anton Bauer Ultra Light 2 and have a nice clean looking and working rig. Thanks!

I shoot on a daily basis with this camera professionally in run and gun situations such as conventions and sporting events and have tried many different setups. I think I've finally come up with the best setup for a one man band.

The biggest consideration is weight. In the long run this is the one factor that will determine the best setup for you depending on your endurance. When you're out and about you don't want to be bogged down and you need to have quick and easy access to your gear.

Since UL2's require a separate battery (thus adding weight) I suggest going a different route. Sony makes a consumer grade onboard two bulb sungun that lets you switch between one light and two lights depending on how much light you need. Left naked, this light is too ugly and spotty, but if you put a soft bag over it that is made for the UL2's you will get a nice soft look without the spottiness. To make things easier, this sungun is powered by the standard PD-150 batteries. Get the big ones that last for 9 hours and you're good to go.

As far as sound goes, since I'm on the run and need to keep extra tape stock, batteries and other miscellaneous supplies on me, I got one of those Porta Brace Hiker Pro bags that are for MiniDV cameras that convert into backpacks. Throw your extra supplies in the main compartment. The outer flap has two extra compartments. Put the receiver for the lav or stick mic in one of the outer compartments and run a XLR out from it to the camera. That way you're not mounting anything extra to the camera and you can unhook the XLR and tie it to the shoulder strap of the backpack when you're moving from place to place so you don't get tangled up.

Mike

i also shoot daily with this camera in eng situations. i use the bracket1.com wireless bracket to mount 1 lectro 100-series RX on the camera. i also stack the boxes for 2 RX when needed.

email me direct at flacaproductions@aol.com for pics.