I do find it hysterical that the US Oscars now resemble the Canadian version, the CSAs. People watch the CSAs and no one has ever heard of, or seen, any of the titles nominated for Best Picture. In the old days, the 1980s, when you watched the Oscars, everyone had heard of the films nominated in the Best Picture category.

These days, so many of the films nominated in the Best Picture category at the Oscars are art house movies, unknown to the general public. Congratulations America, you have caught up to the cinema snobs living North of the border.

R,

This is the good thing about the Oscars nes par.. not just pandering to there big tent pole rubbish dished out to the great un washed.. my faith was restored when The Hurt Locker got the gong.. then everyone can hear about good films.. all power to it

Exactly what I said way back.. and got shot down in flames straight away by the devout followers .. read and weep ..

Once again, Olivares was announced a long time ago but it turns out it was probably a misunderstanding as Olivares worked on the film as a camera operator and cinematography collaborator, which is a title I've never seen before but it's clear he was an important presence on the film but I'm not surprised that some are immediately doubting that Cuaron had anything to do with it, it's not as if he worked as a cinematographer early in his career...

Once again, Olivares was announced a long time ago but it turns out it was probably a misunderstanding as Olivares worked on the film as a camera operator and cinematography collaborator, which is a title I've never seen before but it's clear he was an important presence on the film but I'm not surprised that some are immediately doubting that Cuaron had anything to do with it, it's not as if he worked as a cinematographer early in his career...

Not saying he nothing to do with it.. absolutely not.. that would be nuts.. but did he mention Olivaries in his acceptance speech.. or anywhere else really... ? thats what's off in my book ... just saying..

Wow! Just saw the film tonight. on Netflicks.

I am excited, I feel now that since the Cinematography bar has been set so low, maybe, just maybe, I will take home the trophy next year. I also know how to pan the camera left, and right, even in the same shot. I should start writing my acceptance speech now.

I really think you guys must be crazy, or I just don't get cinematography. Admittedly, I don't get a lot of cinematography, but I do know what I like, and Once Upon a Time in the West, or Citizen Kane, this film is not. I am glad for the folks who liked the film overall, I wish I could share your enthusiasm.

Although this years choice seems to have caused some criticism .. and lack of any female directors .. still pretty weird that I think still only one women has won best dir ..

I think its particularly an issue this year when you have "Leave no trace" and "You were never really here" - both stunning films and directed by women - they could have so easily got a bit more gender diversity by including in the noms

I think its particularly an issue this year when you have "Leave no trace" and "You were never really here" - both stunning films and directed by women - they could have so easily got a bit more gender diversity by including in the noms

And "Can you ever forgive me"... I dont think there has to be some sort of quote of women directors .. but this year there really were some very good ones.. I mean its just nuts that in all the years only one women has ever won. !!. something wrong there..

Agree - I don't think their should be a quota either. But this year their have been quite a few best picture contenders directed by women. I haven't seen "can you ever forgive me" - yet

"Leave no trace" is my fav movie of the last couple of years

Imagine if they only had a single "Best Actor" oscar, rather then Best Male/Female.....

I guess it will just water down its already waining brand.