Most cinematic camera moves

Daniel Miler

I am going to give a class about movement in cinema, would love to have some suggestions for films with interesting camera moves (from the storytelling point of view), or if you know of any articles / interviews relating to the subject.

Thanks!

The crane shot following Dax and, I think it's General Mireau, up the château staircase in Paths of Glory.

They stop climbing, but the camera continues to move for a second or so, as if caught by surprise. It's intentional.

Kubrick pictures in general, actually.

Lack of camera movement is also interesting, I'd say. In 2001 the camera rarely moves, so when the hand-held shot in the TMA-1 crater comes along, it's all the more striking.

Edited by Mark Dunn

Do The Right Thing has to be top 50 all time.

All those scenes engaged closely with a couple characters and then they go off their separate ways as the camera crane moves outward showing they're only pieces of a greater Brooklyn community.

It's been a while since I've seen it, but Tess (of the d'Urbervilles) by Roman Polanski in 1979 opens with one long shot beginning with a panorama of the English countryside and slowly cranes down to follow a group of girls walking down a country path. I think the film won various awards, including an Oscar, for its cinematography. It's pretty striking when you realize it's one continuous shot.

• Premium Member

"Singin' in the Rain" contains an interesting camera move, not long, but what's interesting is that during the dance, there is a pull-back from close and rise-up on a crane that then descends back but at a wider position, and then a cut back in close that repeats the same move once more.

Start watching around 2:16:

• Premium Member

The chase through the hedge maze at the climax to "The Shining" is a great moving camera sequence.

"Enter the Void" has some amazing POV moving camera sequences (the movie is put together as if it is one single shot), particularly the moment where the character runs from the bar into the bathroom stall.

"Singin' in the Rain" contains an interesting camera move, not long, but what's interesting is that during the dance, there is a pull-back from close and rise-up on a crane that then descends back but at a wider position, and then a cut back in close that repeats the same move once more.

Start watching around 2:16:

A great scene ( and a great movie of course ) ....famously with that duff-cut at 3:05

John S

My alltime Favorite Camera Move was in Band of Brothers, the Bethoven Scene. Nicely Executed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMctnc_ogD4

Also i loved the Sister Separation Scene in The Color Purple. Great Camera Movent with many little extras (watch the children)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yY8Pf2rgP5s

Except for one extremely brief shot where the camera tracks forward a short distance, the whole of 'Deliverance' seems to be composed of static shots and simple pans on a tripod. No fancy camera moves. But a powerful film nevertheless with great cinematography by Vilmos Zsigmond. I thought it worth comment that sometimes the simple style works best. I don't know how the focus was achieved though, with the close-up shots of the canoe action approaching camera. Depth of field/lens choice maybe would have helped a lot.

Edited by Jon O'Brien