A tricky location

Phil Rhodes

• Premium Member

The idea is that this will play as a lounge at an airport. Scene a first actor waiting, a second enters, approaches, and they converse. There's not much blocking after the second enters. The scene is preceded by a hectic dash through the building; there's a desire to contrast that with slow, controlled camera motion in this location to emphasise the icy calm of the first character.

Naturally, most of the furniture would be cleared; we'll have to try and rustle up some tables and signage to sell it as an airport. Possibly we can do some basic VFX to drop some aircraft tails in outside the windows; it's not actually bad from that perspective.

The problem is those end walls, strewn with AV gear and associated clutter. There's a concertina divider halfway down which I could close and shoot both sides to make it look like the room ends cleanly, though it would rob me of a lot of depth in the space.

The weather makes it look interesting here, but of course can't be relied-upon. The window is south-facing and shown midmorning, so the sun will effectively swing across the sky over the course of a day.

Thoughts?

post-29-0-66431200-1545334357_thumb.jpgpost-29-0-39359500-1545334439_thumb.jpgpost-29-0-47626500-1545334456_thumb.jpgpost-29-0-30266000-1545334467_thumb.jpg

I'm an industrial gypsy so spend a lot of time in Airports and what you have there is an easy sell.

Dimensions wise, it's very much like a brighter Lihue Airport in Kauai, Hawaii.

Your set dresser could easily make up a 'display' that covers the AV equipment. Think big maps / posters of the 'location' of the airport. Time tables, advertisements.

post-70151-0-12398000-1545382814_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

• Premium Member

Your set dresser could easily make up a 'display' that covers the AV equipment. Think big maps / posters of the 'location' of the airport. Time tables, advertisements.

The set dresser could just make one of those airport-style yellow-blue or whichever colour WC+phone+exit signs and hide the av projector behind that. those signs are pretty unique to airports and will sell the location immediately :)

also other types of signs and an info screen or two (a normal tv would probably do if the graphics are right looking) which displays flight information. maybe a small info desk next to the display, it does not need to have personnel around at the moment. the speakers on the wall could probably be painted out with vfx.

But I think it would need one or two of those overly simplified way-too-large Airport Style signs hanging from the ceiling and the rest would be very easy

Edited by aapo lettinen

Looks doable.

Apart from adding signage.

Are you going to be able to source many extra's/support actors:

A few peoples in steward/stewardess uniforms - the ones with the thunderbird hats and weird neck ties. I think the right uniforms would do the majority of the work in selling the location.

Maybe the lectern could become a check in desk - either with a logo attached or wrap in material to change colour

To hide the video projection screens - either use them to project adverts, departure times. Or you could get a big roll of photographic backdrop paper . It comes in lots of colours. You could cover the back wall in a nice dark colour. E.g airline blue or red. The screen could be hidden behind it, it would inject some colour into the set and match the "air-line" branding. etc...

Its a good option when you can't paint a wall and need temporary cover. If its kept out of focus, you don't even need to be that neat about hanging it or fight creases too much. Then stick some cut out text on it e.g GATE 15 on it.

Also if the films in 2.39:1 you could probably keep the projectors out of shot if your careful.

• Premium Member

Thanks for all the responses, folks.

The idea was that this should represent a private lounge. The action leading up to it is intended to be very busy and full of people, so there'll be a contrast. A higher-level lounge really should have a bunch of big couches and stuff in it - that may not be doable - but we can certainly put some coffee tables and so on in there so it looks as if it's reasonably well set up. There's a plan to have someone in an airline-style uniform taking luggage from our exec type, so she looks like she's being looked after.

Yes, airport-style signage. Since it's a lounge the seating isn't such a huge deal.

VFX is an option to lose all that clutter, it's a relatively simple paint-out. The strong colour (red, to match those chairs if we used them?) colorama roll isn't a bad idea, though I'm not sure how we'd rig it and ensure the upper and lower edges looked good.

I could happily set up a couple of displays to do departure times. It's an issue of mounting them on the wall.

P

colorama roll isn't a bad idea, though I'm not sure how we'd rig it and ensure the upper and lower edges looked good.

Shallow DOF could hide many sins depending on the shot. I was thinking it could work as an out of focus splodge of colour in the background. Curtains could also work

How wide is the room? Could a long polecat span the width?

• Premium Member

Shallow DOF could hide many sins depending on the shot. I was thinking it could work as an out of focus splodge of colour in the background. Curtains could also work

How wide is the room? Could a long polecat span the width?

Fraid not, way too wide.