Better be careful when working in NYC

Daniel D. Teoli Jr.

I had no idea that my pocket knife (2-7/8" blade) was illegal in NYC.

Here is video...

If you want to be safe, carry a small fixed blade knife. Bottom line...if ANYONE can open your knife one handed...you go to jail. I've been working on borrowed time for years in NYC and didn't know it.

Edited by Daniel D. Teoli Jr.

• 3 weeks later...

Has nothing to do with the length of the blade. Pocket knife blades under 4" are legal in NYC. What's not legal are knives that can be opened without effort like switchblades, gravity knifes, spring assisted opening pocket knives, and possibly locking pocket knives so loose they can be flicked open. I just bought a new carry pocket knife and had to avoid the spring assisted ones. A pocket knife that clips to the inside of my pants pocket and can be opened one handed with a thumb peg is perfectly legal as far as I know. The incident spoken of sounds more like a bad arrest than anything routine. Bad arrests are police bread and butter everywhere.

I had no idea that my pocket knife (2-7/8" blade) was illegal in NYC.

Here is video...

If you want to be safe, carry a small fixed blade knife. Bottom line...if ANYONE can open your knife one handed...you go to jail. I've been working on borrowed time for years in NYC and didn't know it.