Banding / Flicker in Test Footage for Music Video

Adam Worth

I’m shooting/directing/editing a low budget ($5k) music video in a large hangar about 130 feet x 150 feet. It has existing overhead lighting in a grid (pic attached) that I’m forced to use because the budget doesn’t allow for re-lighting the space. The lighting in the space was installed 2 years ago, color temp is about 4500k, f-stop 4.5. Pic attached - not sure what kind of light it is...Can anyone tell me based on photo?

This is a simple one location performance video for a fast paced rock song, we're just counting on the energy of the band and nice visuals to drive the viewer interest - no other story per say. The band will be setup in the middle of this large space. I had been hoping to shoot in 23.98fps and 90 or 45 degree shutter for that ‘saving private ryan’ effect, as well as some slow motion. Was counting on camera settings in part to keep the video interesting and changing throughout.

I did some camera tests at 4k 23.98fps 180 degree shutter, in the location with existing lighting, came home and looked at the footage, and I’m getting slight banding at 180 degrees, 90 degrees and 45 degree shutter speeds. Here is the test footage. It is more noticeable if you scroll fast:

https://vimeo.com/307543435

I’m shooting on a Panasonic EVA1, it can be set to display shutter as degrees or fractions. i’ve always used the default camera setting of 180 degrees (which as I understand equals 1/48). Also on the EVA1 I set the ‘base system frame rate’ as 59.94 or 23.98 - then adjust FPS for slow or fast motion separately.

At base of 59.94 I dont see any banding in the test footage (see TC 01:34). BUT I didn’t test other shutter speeds at 59.94. I ONLY tested 180 degrees, and it maybe difficult to get back in the space for more tests - besides morning of shoot.

SO my question - what can I expect to not have banding shutter and FPS - wise? Is 23.98FPS totally out of the question? What settings should i test first? Trying to get a sense of what will be possible as I may get limited chances to test again. Will 59.94 FPS get no banding, at any shutter speed? Is all hope lost for fast shutter speed effects? What might be 'safe?'

As for slow motion, what about 120FPS at a 59.94? The conformed 59.94-23.98 slow motion in my test footage (TC 02:31) isn’t quite slow enough, but with horrible banding at 23.98 120fps... should i rule out 120FPS?

Recent posts here suggested staying at 180 degrees. That didn’t work out for me in 23.98. It works ok in 59.94, but other faster shutter and slow mo options would be great. Thanks for any help!

post-76009-0-67444200-1545343259_thumb.jpg

That is some sort of discharge lighting, which means it flickers, as you've found out. You need a 1/60 shutter speed instead of 1/48. At 23.98 fps, adjust your shutter angle to 144º and see if that helps. If you have precise control over the shutter, you may find it needs 144 point something. At 59.94 fps stick with 180º

That is some sort of discharge lighting, which means it flickers, as you've found out. You need a 1/60 shutter speed instead of 1/48. At 23.98 fps, adjust your shutter angle to 144º and see if that helps. If you have precise control over the shutter, you may find it needs 144 point something. At 59.94 fps stick with 180º

Thank so much for the advice!

What if I shot in true 24FPS - could i safely avoid flicker at most shutter speeds, as i've read?