Movie 'Mid90s' shot on 16mm

Stephen Perera

I saw a digital screening of Mid90s and going into I knew it was 1.33 but afterwards I heard a couple people mention they thought there was something wrong with the projector (haha) . The grain structure looked nice on the dcp and in some scenes there were very prevalent film scratches that I personally loved but I have never seen anything to that degree left in and not cleaned up in post. I did see a pre screening so I don't know if anyone else saw this. I'm referring to the scene where the kids are sitting on the couch in the skate shop talking for the first time.

You're not alone- I saw the film in theaters within two weeks of its release and was pretty surprised at the amount of dust/dirt/scratching that was left in throughout (particularly in the first skate shop scene). Maybe it was the most punk/edgy thing to do in a film like this.. not complaining because it definitely works!

• 3 weeks later...

Just got it on BD and it's like I'm rediscovering the film after seeing it on Itunes. It's super impressive how well the super 16 on this film holds up on the big screen, I've been surprised by 16mm before on things like One Tree Hill, Steve Jobs but I still am.