Filtration on Friday the 13th

Shooting a music video upcoming and my main reference is the 1980 Friday the 13th film:

I'm planning to shoot with Sony a7iii and Fujinon MK Zooms — but what kind of filtration would you recommend to help soften the lens and achieve a look close to Friday the 13th?

Happy new year.

micah

• Premium Member

Maybe use a Low Con and then add contrast in your LUT.

I'd add that don't add contrast to the recording, just to your dailies and final color-correction. Older movies tend to have less shadow detail / deeper blacks so light with that in mind, i.e. have your set monitor LUT have enough contrast so that you light for the shadow detail you want to see.

Micah .. one thing to watch out for .. the Fuji MK zooms are for s35mm sensors ..the 18mm will probably vignette .. if you are shooting Full Frame ..there is a crop mode 1.5x for s35 /APS-C size lenses.. in the A7III.. also beware the S&Q mode.. unlike the Sony video cameras that ramp up the data rate for slomo in S&Q.. the A7III does the opposite and slashes it to accommodate the higher frame rates .. not good for grading at all.. is there any chance you can get hold of an Fs7.. for your MK zooms.. you would get a much higher Mbps at 4K.. a 10 bit /422 file ..and generally easier to work with..