Is 16mm more 'filmic' and thus THE look of film now?

Stephen Perera

As they used to say in Australia in the bush, and in the city too: "too right!"

I've been to that spot where Kelly and his gang put on their home-made armour and faced the police, with my dad, some years ago. We checked it out. It's just an unassuming scrubby block, totally nondescript. Maybe one day I will make yet another movie on Kelly.

Here's John Jarratt as Kelly, in a fine made-for-tv production from the 80s. Shot on 16mm.

And yep that vistavision makes an appearance towards the end. I've always said Aussies are innovators.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm so happy to see this thread. I didn't know that Old Man With a Gun was shot with 16mm! I love 16 mm and use it personally. I was unaware it's becoming a "thing" and thought I was sort of a lone throw back. I was also under the impression that if a larger production film was shot on 16 mm it was due to budget...Kathryn Bigelow's Hurt Locker I believe was shot on 16 mm & I thought it was because it was cheaper. This is all very interesting. Of course digital can be beautiful too and love the cinematography in Roma which if I'm not mistaken was shot with Alexa 65. Also very happy to see David Mullen did The Marvelous Mrs Maisel! Congratulations!! I have already praised the look of Love Witch was was very cool. It was lush, beautiful and campy all simultaneously. Haven't seen Mrs Maisel yet but will definitely check it out!

Saw The Edge of the City today on TCM - gorgeous B&W cinematography. Looked up cinematographer - Joseph Brun. He had been nominated for an earlier film (Martin Luther). A little off topic but I bring it up because the beauty of not only the light and compositions but of the rich grain - and there was a comment on the beauty of grain on this thread.