Film Stock Emulsion

Hello,

this is a very general question, for any format.
I was wondering in the film stock (when it is still in the box, new) where does the emulsion face?
Does it face externally? Always?
In particular I am interested at the Fomapan (r-100 ds8).
Please let me know if you have some information about that.
Thank you
Edited by Franco Consales

I believe most motion picture negative rolls come with emulsion facing in, same as a 35mm still camera cartridge. However, I think Super-8 cartridges wind the emulsion facing out.

It's EO at the gate, but it goes through tight 180 degree turns arund pins at the back of the cartridge, both feed and takeup. You can see it here

https://www.super8.nl/english/e_lesson1.htm

I certainly remember the first shot of the day sometimes having a focus breathe about 12 or 15 frames in because there was a kink in the film where it had been stationary around the pin since it last ran.

The A-Minima requires an EO wind as well.

Edited by Mark Dunn

Er, of course it's EO at the gate, dumb thing to say, sorry about that. I missed the edit time limit.

Although IIRC someone at film school did manage to load a Bolex EI and shoot a whole roll. Not sure how they managed that.

Edited by Mark Dunn

First of all many thanks for the quick answers.

Regarding the topic: I am trying to understand how the rolls are made,

I am trying to reload a s8 cartridge. To that I need to know in the roll how if the emulsion faces out or in.

Thanks

Just have a look at some of the images online. That's how I checked my assumption.

There seem to be lots of resources on cart loading.

I don't know if you've got your fresh stock yet, but it will be supplied emulsion in. It always is, and this is how you want it.

Edited by Mark Dunn

You mention DS-8. This is double Super-8 and won't fit it a cartridge- it's 16mm. wide and is for a specific camera type. The roll is run twice through the camera and slit lengthwise to 8mm. after processing. If you want to reload a S-8 cartridge you need long rolls of S-8, not DS-8.

AFAICS Fomapan R100 isn't sold in S-8.

You mention DS-8. This is double Super-8 and won't fit it a cartridge- it's 16mm. wide and is for a specific camera type. The roll is run twice through the camera and slit lengthwise to 8mm. after processing. If you want to reload a S-8 cartridge you need long rolls of S-8, not DS-8.

AFAICS Fomapan R100 isn't sold in S-8.

Yes DS8, I will cut in 2 super 8 roll (with the soviet cutter) and load in the s8 cartridge. To do that correctly I need to know where the emulsions faces,

you said IN, I think you are right. I am watching loads of tutorial online and the emulsion is in,

thank you!

Very brave of you.

Remember you need to end up with the sprocket holes on the correct side, so one of your slit 100' S-8 lengths can go straight onto the cartridge flange, but the other one will have to be rewound again. It would help if you had two (or four) carts so you can do the whole lot in one go.

Edited by Mark Dunn